Kid Friendly

What's Hot
stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
edited May 2015 in Music
There's a discussion ongoing in the Guitar section (why there? I dunno) about good driving music.
Several folk have mentioned that they are paying penance for poor life choices/ contraceptive malfunctions etc by listening to Disney (Frozen in particular) whilst driving their spawn around.

As the custodian of a "threenager", I've encountered this unique form of misery whilst chauffeuring  my spawn to her various social engagements. 
I'm gradually improving matters by introducing her to "good" music (stuff that doesn't sound like its sung by a BeeGee with his balls in a vice). What kid approved songs do YOU listen to? Absoulutely NO swearing/questionable lyrical content allowed & preferably with a repetitive catchy chorus.

I've got this far:
The AAAHHHHH song- Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin (or Zed Leppin)
Rock & Roll by the same
Stay or Go by the Clash
I fought the Law: Clash
We Will Rock you By Queen (Queen are actually pretty reliable for this sort of thing)
The OOOHH YYEEEAAHH song: In Remission by Menzingers- she sang this at nursery much to the utter confusion of the staff.
The Moo Sucka song: Renegades of Funk by Rage Against the Machine.
Take My bones away by Baroness
Blitzkreig Bop by The Ramones

What else do you suggest?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Little Green Men by Steve Vai. Basically a children's song.

Days of Slavery by Burning Spear. My kids love it, really.

Ballroom Blitz by the Sweet.

I love rocknroll by Joan Jett.

Lip up Fatty by Bad Manners and Roly Poly by the Little Willies ( although avoid these if you have fat kids).

Where's me jumper by the sultans of ping.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    My eldest lad (6) lad likes the parrot bit at the start of the Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" ;-)

He also likes "The motorbike song"...aka Richard Thompsons' Vincent Black Lightning....in fact he usually has the RT album Acoustic Classic's on at bedtime as he falls asleep.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162

I never even considered subjecting myself or my kids to children's music. Bloody horrible stuff. Favourites in the car for my kids (3 and 4) include:

Jake Bugg - Lightning Bolt (they also like Seen It All, but the lyrics- which they don't understand at all- include drug abuse and a stabbing, so not really suitable)

Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi (lots of questionable language, but in french)

Chuck Berry - Too Much Monkey Business

Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

Both kids like Embrace's version (vastly inferior to, but vastly easier to find than Blind Melon's) of "Three is the Magic Number" from Schoolhouse Rocks.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    english_bob;642280" said:
    I never even considered subjecting myself or my kids to children's music. Bloody horrible stuff. Favourites in the car for my kids (3 and 4) include:

Jake Bugg - Lightning Bolt (they also like Seen It All, but the lyrics- which they don't understand at all- include drug abuse and a stabbing, so not really suitable)

Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi (lots of questionable language, but in french)

Both kids like Embrace's version (vastly inferior to, but vastly easier to find than Blind Melon's) of "Three is the Magic Number" from Schoolhouse Rocks.
    I'm pretty sure that is a form of child abuse - making them listen to Bon Jovi and Jake Bugg. I'm reporting you to the authorities...

My three year old wants frozen most of the time but is partial to the Stones and likes Get off My Cloud among others.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    Iamnobody said:
    english_bob;642280" said:

I'm pretty sure that is a form of child abuse - making them listen to Bon Jovi and Jake Bugg. I'm reporting you to the authorities...

My three year old wants frozen most of the time but is partial to the Stones and likes Get off My Cloud among others.

This. Give me Frozen over Bon Jovi ANY day!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17650
    tFB Trader
    I think you have to remember who the adult is. 

You go in my car you listen to Radio 4, thems the rules.

I have managed to get my daughter interested in vaguely decent music. Her current favorite song is by The Flaming Lips. 

She does like Katy Perry, but I don't find that too annoying.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Iamnobody said:

I felt guilty right up until you mentioned the Stones.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Mary had a little lamb - SRV
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I bought my kids a Justin Fletcher ( aka Mr Tumble) album. We played it on the way home. BIG mistake. It's nursery rhymes set to techno beats. Bloody flaming nora, I tried to switch of mentally, but I'm very sensitive to music. All those jerky, fast, thumping rhythms turned my normally smooth and cautious driving style into that of a speeding teenager who'd taken speed.

Never again.

AVOID Mr Tumble. It is a very dangerous record.

Instead, I go for relaxing stuff that preferably has a relaxing groove e.g Sebastien Tellier, Traffic, Miles Davis.

Radio 3 is good for silencing tetchy kids too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    When my daughter was 10, she wanted her own computer. Being the nice father I am, I built her one. Then she asked for "some music"...who was I to deny her that?

So I put my collection on there. Everything from Cream through to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Godsmack etc. Oh, and I conveniently didn't have a CD drive handy, so she couldn't rip her mother's collection of Dolly Parton-alikes.

She's basically been into metal ever since. Job well done, I'd say.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    When my daughter was 10, she wanted her own computer. Being the nice father I am, I built her one. Then she asked for "some music"...who was I to deny her that?

So I put my collection on there. Everything from Cream through to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Godsmack etc. Oh, and I conveniently didn't have a CD drive handy, so she couldn't rip her mother's collection of Dolly Parton-alikes.

She's basically been into metal ever since. Job well done, I'd say.
    Now't wrong with a bit of country...............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    My son has a pretty full on obsession with Louis Armstrong - particularly the hot 5s and 7s recordings from the early 1930s.

He'll be 2 in September.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Skarloey said:
    I bought my kids a Justin Fletcher ( aka Mr Tumble) album. We played it on the way home. BIG mistake. It's nursery rhymes set to techno beats. Bloody flaming nora, I tried to switch of mentally, but I'm very sensitive to music. All those jerky, fast, thumping rhythms turned my normally smooth and cautious driving style into that of a speeding teenager who'd taken speed.

Never again.

AVOID Mr Tumble. It is a very dangerous record.

Maybe Now That's What I Call Disney isn't so bad after all.  At least it has a lot of the old classics on it - not just Frozen.

I'm dreading Frozen 2.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited May 2015
    My dad likes to remind us that, at about the age of twenty, my youngest brother told him, 'looking back your tapes in the car were the best'. This mainly consisted of Dark Side of the Moon, Beatles and some Clapton, Cream and Rory Gallagher (Apparently my OCS and Oasis efforts were not up to scratch.)
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2015
    The kids are really digging the soundtrack to Guardians of the Galaxy at the moment and I can easily live with that. Plus fortunately they are both Bowie mad and the younger can't get enough of Gogol Bordello and this song in particular in the car -
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    +1 on Gauardians soundtrack.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited May 2015

Blimey this takes me back...

When they were about 3 and 7, my kids absolutely loved Twisted Sister - mainly because of the classic videos but in the end we ended up with a "best of" CD in the car.

So...

We're Not Gonna Take It

You Can't Stop Rock N' Roll

I Am, I'm Me.

The Kids Are Back

I Wanna Rock

EDIT:  I should have probably pointed out that the reason for the Twisted Sister motif was the kids seeing an episode of SpongeBob where someone is singing "I'm a goofy goober" to the tune of I Wanna Rock.  

So that's a really good starting point, I guess... find something related to what they're already interested in, no matter how obscure it seems.  My eldest lad really like Living Colour for the simple reason that his favourite WWE wrestler used Cult Of Personality as his "theme".

• The Guardians soundtrack is a good shout. Some good tunes in there.

I also have Alphabet Zoo by Ralph McTell. Lots of slightly odd songs with Ralph's excellent guitar playing.
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    edited May 2015
    My 3 year old is very picky he likes creedence clearwater revival travelin band. It's only 2 mins long. He likes to listen to it over and over
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    And today my son handed me Primal Scream's Echo Dek - the dub remix of Vanishing Point - and insisted it went on. Who am I to argue?