Do you hang on to stuff?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Top of the class, and a LOL!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

Kind of on the flip side of that: after my nan died a few years back we were sorting through her stuff and found a pic of her and her 5 sisters when they were in their 20s. My nan was the only to get married and have kids, all the others died young or were spinsters. In the end nobody wanted the photo and it got binned (I guess we were all looking to move on, not hold on).

Later it struck me that that non of the sisters had any living family, and there was no real record of any of their lifes, like they'd never exisited. Not keeping that picture I think is the only real regret I have in life.

I hate to say it, but I think a terrible thing happened there. I feel sad for your family that that picture has gone, it's a bit like erasing them. Sorry, I don't mean to make you feel worse. Old family pictures are precious as far as I'm concerned. We have a lot on my mums side that go back a long way, and very sadly, there is no-one alive who knows who some of them were. I feel that the generations of my family have let them down, they could have lived on in our historic family tree but now they are lost.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm a terrible hoarder. Our loft is full of my junk. My big matchbox collection from when I was a kid, Piles of Film magazines, piles of mountainbike magazines, piles of wrestling magazines, piles of mini magazines, piles of kerrang mags, piles of old sounds newspapers, piles of guitar mags. Mimiature bottles I collected as a kid. Shoeboxes of things I found in the gutter, mountains of my kids artwork. A few broken DVD players, a box of mugs that we have that I didn't like! 

The only thing I ever cleared out was a ton of old mini parts. When I sold my last mini I got rid of all the spares I had. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    static
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I started to type a sarcastic "well I hang onto my fingernails an poop into jars" type post implying there's all sorts of crazy going on... but then I realised I'd need to explain that I don't and would get all self conscious that people though I was a scary crazy hoarder...

As for hanging onto things - if I don't use a thing (gadgets especially) it goes in a box. If I don't need if for a few years I sell it or bin it. I did have huge piles of magazines I was going to scan - but it got to be so many that I couldn't be bothered so bined the lot
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Myranda said:
     I did have huge piles and  magazines I was going to scan - 
    glad things have improved
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I'm in the middle of a house move at the moment and have managed to completely fill a 50sq foot storage unit with 'stuff' from just our attic and shed.

I can't believe how many kids toys and clothes we have. And I can't let my train set and Star Wars figures go.

Oh and the old Marconi valve radio that used to sound glorious but now needs sorting out. Listening to the Test match on that thing makes one feel all warm and fuzzy.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited October 2013
    The only place at my gaff that's sacred is my garage, and the only thing I want in it is my car (an ongoing project subject to Emp-like prevarication), my tools, and my bike. I am generally a hoarder of 'things which may be useful', a leftover from the days when I used to have to fix stuff without much cash. I will save any old nut or bolt, bit of metal, or other material, most of which will never be used in my lifetime. Solidified tubes of bathroom and silicon sealant from many moons ago are a particular speciality of mine, as are old tins of paint from rooms that have been subsequently decorated twice, and thus are of no practical use whatsoever.

The "keep your shite out of my garage" edict does not however stop Mrs C using it as an all-purpose dumping ground for anything she considers unwelcome in the house, such as old bits of carpet, decorating materials, garden tools, chairs, bags of rubbish, and me. I had a major clear-out of shite earlier this year, and managed to recover a reasonable amount of space for my own use.

Shortly after that, the remaining assister-spring on one side of the main door broke, and as I have prevaricated about it so long, and single-handedly failed to get around to replacing it, I haven't been able to open it since.

As a result, I've hardly been in there until last week, whereupon I see it's secretly accumulated even more shite than it had before.

• @chillidoggy I had excellent service from BFCC Garage Doors (they're in Clacton) ... they did me an excellent fix for my garage door :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Thanks Phil.

I just need to get off my fat arse, order the damned springs (which incidentally are about £140), pull my finger out and fit them. I'm sliding into Emp-mode though, with projects piling up ever higher, and the inclination to tackle them sliding ever lower!

Remember: Time. Money. Enthusiasm. If they don't coincide for any given project, go up the pub.