Why is it that some guitars (regardless of cost/value) just feel "right"?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited May 2015
    A Coloured geez in Guildford High St yesterday was busking sitting atop some battered no brand plastic battery amp and playing a beautiful wine red Epi Swingster. It sounded and looked dead gawjus and without it sounding raists in any way, contrasted even better with his dark skin(!) In fact so lovely it was I came home and looked up the current offerings from Epi to see which/how much as it put my Gibbo 335 tone to shame!

http://images.gear4music.com/media/42532/600/preview.jpg

although his edge binding was a dark cream... and the better for it...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    /\ bollocks to that.... In that case then - I'm white and find that offensive due to the connotations to Snow White...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have found a few non-masterbuilt Custom Shop strats that were quite adequate.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I once had a cheap as chips pre trev wilkinson Vintage VRS 100, soooo much better than the later TW affiliated Vintages imo, another guitar I should not have sold.
    One man's meat is another man's poison eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Most people buy with their eyes and imagination (which is why advertising works). Some buy guitars with their ears. A few, like me, often buy by feel - if it feels good when picking it up and playing it then you'll probably play it more. But some folks can't get over the eyes and imagination bit... and we've all been there, haven't we? ;)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @HarrySeven if you could get a CNC machine to reproduce the exact size & shape of the neck on your Vintage SG do you think the reproduction would feel the same in your hand? Would the weight (and weigh distribution) and the centre of gravity need to be identical too?

@Chalky I've been guilty of attempting to buy with my eyes instead of my ears and I'll always be grateful to the mate who told me not to be "such a f___ing idiot".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Wisdom awarded is for your mate - please pass it on! But we've all done it - seen a guitar that looks great and all the reviews say its great and you play and you want it to be great and........ if you're lucky your credit card stays in the wallet. Or if you've got a wise mate! :)

Always take a friend...