Michael Schenker Thread

bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
Been on another Schenker binge and I think this is one of his best solos (3.17 for the impatient):

It has so much of his style packed in the few minutes of the solo.  Fast blues licks, harmony guitars, melodic passages, unison bends...

More great playing here, quite shred and neoclassical influenced:

Great instrumental from the same album as Save Yourself:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    There's some great stuff on Assault Attack, I love Desert Song.

I remember seeing him at Reading in 82, "as you can see Mr Bonnet is not with us tonight". Even if there was apparently a rhythm guitarisy hiding behind the curtain, they were superb.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    scrumhalf said:
    There's some great stuff on Assault Attack, I love Desert Song.

I remember seeing him at Reading in 82, "as you can see Mr Bonnet is not with us tonight". Even if there was apparently a rhythm guitarisy hiding behind the curtain, they were superb.
    Who was the singer then?  Some of Bonnett's live vocals are pretty bad.  
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited May 2015
    scrumhalf said:
    Who was the singer then?  Some of Bonnett's live vocals are pretty bad.  
    Gary Barden for that gig -- Schenker got him back.  That was one of the best gigs I've ever been to as it happens. 

Barden was popular and Bonnet, well Bonnet wasn't.  No one expected Barden so when he stepped out and said, "Surprise! Surprise!" the atmosphere jumped up to a whole new level. 

====
    Funnily enough I was playing "Obsession" yesterday before you posted this @bingefeller cos that's an album I don't play much and yet it's got some superb playing on it even if some of the song writing on the album as a whole is a bit flakey.

Good to hear these choices too -- again, not some of the tracks I usually listen to.

Here's one of my absolute favourite Schenker lead breaks (I've probably posted it before!), and what I love about it is the rhythm of the patterns he's playing.  The solo starts at 2:40 and the bit I'm talking about is from 2:53

Michael Schenker Group, "Looking For Love"

@Grunfeld great track.  I love the lead break at 1.22.  That bend he plays on the low E at 1.35 followed by a bend on, I'm guessing, the G string is a great Schenkerism.  

The final solo, the one you're talking about, is great also.  Very fluid playing yet not overly flashy.  He's really grooving along with the whole track.  

I love his solo on Whiter Shade of Pale from about 4.49:

That wide bend at 5.31 is fantastic!
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    His stuff with UFO and the early MSG albums are just fantastic and after all his problems he seems to be on fire again at the moment. There's been some great footage of him popping up on youtube over the last month. 60 years old and he's playing with more fire and energy than people a third of his age. Great to see.
    SidNewton said:
    His stuff with UFO and the early MSG albums are just fantastic and after all his problems he seems to be on fire again at the moment. There's been some great footage of him popping up on youtube over the last month. 60 years old and he's playing with more fire and energy than people a third of his age. Great to see.
    The new album is amazing.  Listen to these riffs and tone:

Classic Schenker.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    His playing on the first Scorpions album is incredible - albeit more Iommi sounding.

Saw him play a dew times and mostly beyond incredible. Sadly also saw him off his head and it was heartbreaking.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    What a player!

Is that vid still on YT of him giving the lowdown on his wah technique? I think he's wearing shades and some green trainers. Saw it once. Loved it but not come across it again.
    Skarloey said:
    What a player!

Is that vid still on YT of him giving the lowdown on his wah technique? I think he's wearing shades and some green trainers. Saw it once. Loved it but not come across it again.
    I know that video but can't find it again.  I think it had a white background and just him talking about his wah and you got some good close up of his pedal board.  
    Just got the new Schenker album today and it's pretty damn good.  There is a great instrumental bonus track called Searching for Freedom.  @grunfeld you might like this...  Some of Michael's most tasteful playing I have heard.