Akihiko Onji

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
I just heard of this guy via the Jamtrackcentral contest.  He is the most interesting player there and should win IMO.  

Check out his cover of Wonderful Slippery Thing:

He blends a mix of TJ Helmerich and Holdsworth.  Great stuff:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    I get the feeling he doesn't leave the house.  He's a great player.  Really enjoyed it, thanks for posting it.  :)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    beed84 said:
    I get the feeling he doesn't leave the house.  He's a great player.  Really enjoyed it, thanks for posting it.  :)
    Yeah he is amazing.  I personally hope he wins the JTC contest, although I don't think his own composition is that strong to be honest with you, but I definitely do think he is the most interesting player in the contest by far.  

I've listened to a number of the rock and fusion entries and although very good a lot of them sound like different permeations of the same track, most of which I turned off half way through.  This leads me to agreeing with your choice.  He totally has a style of his own. It's almost as if he's playing piano on the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    beed84 said:
    I've listened to a number of the rock and fusion entries and although very good a lot of them sound like different permeations of the same track, most of which I turned off half way through.  This leads me to agreeing with your choice.  He totally has a style of his own. It's almost as if he's playing piano on the guitar.
    Yeah, most of the guys are playing very similar styles.  Some aren't that great at all IMO but they've got through to the final so who knows eh?   

Indeed. Irrespective of the standard, at least they're doing it.  I think I'll watch a few more over the weekend. The entrants have inspired to get an electric guitar again!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Gosh, his playing sounds very like the young Alan Holdsworth when he was playing with Bruford on the 'One Of A Kind' album.
    I wasn't expecting this.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    edited June 2015
    equalsql said:
    Gosh, his playing sounds very like the young Alan Holdsworth when he was playing with Bruford on the 'One Of A Kind' album.
    I wasn't expecting this.
    I must check out that album as I haven't heard of it.