Hydrochloric Acid - Disposing !!!!!

What's Hot

Anyone have any idea what you can do with Hydrochloric Acid when you're done using it? Basically I'm following a line of ideas for aging metal parts and have got a half inch pool of it sat in a plastic tub with a smaller bowl inside that with the lid on the outer tub...Now I'm ready to remove the metal bits from the inner bowl, what the hell do I do from here. Kinda shitting my pants at the minute, don't wanna blow up the street or poison myself or something else horrific! Anyone know what I should do next with the metal bits, im reading stuff like rinsing under fresh water, but will that remove the acid residue properly, and the remaining acid left in the tub, can I simply leave it there for months on end until im ready to do some more or does it lose it's pizazz and become useless. And finally if I do have to get shot of it, what do I do with it?

cheers for any help. Rich

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited May 2015
    I just pop them on a bowl of soapy water and rinse.

I've a similar large jar of etchant solution. I must get round to contacting the Council.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    jd0272 said:
    I just pop them on a bowl of soapy water and rinse.

I've a similar large jar of etchant solution. I must get round to contacting the Council.
    Are you talking about the same stuff mate? do you rinse HCL fume blasted hardware with soapy water or stuff that's had Etchant Solution on it?  is it one and the same as I've got both and I thought they were different.
    I doubt the rinse would harm either, it's just to stop the process.
    I'm happy to stand corrected tho :)
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1633
    I use, and reuse, etchant solution.

If you diluted your HCL with water you'd be do no more harm than somebody scrubbing their decking with the kind of cleaner found in B&Q. I'm not sure what ratio of dilution is going to protect the environment given that it's going into a huge water supply anyway.

If in doubt, contact your local council.

• If you diluted your HCL with water you'd be do no more harm than somebody scrubbing their decking with the kind of cleaner found in B&Q. I'm not sure what ratio of dilution is going to protect the environment given that it's going into a huge water supply anyway.

Don't dilute it with water! add it slowly to an excess of water. If you add water to strong acid it's a bad idea since it liberates a lot of heat which can result in spitting - not good. Whereas if you add it slowly to a larger amount of water there is a much larger thermal bath so it is much more gentle. HCl isn't harmful to aquatic life (unlike, say, Ammonia) so you should be okay to dilute it in lots of water and put it down the sink. At that point your solution will be significantly less nasty than, say, Mr Muscle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Just drip it down the sink with the water running at the same time, whilst wearing a full biohazard suit and holding a blast shield**.

**optional
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Don't dilute it with water! add it slowly to an excess of water. If you add water to strong acid it's a bad idea since it liberates a lot of heat which can result in spitting - not good. Whereas if 
    Well, yes.

I wasn't suggesting tipping some water in the tupperware container. Should have been more clear!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069
    commercial drain cleaner is HCL or sulphuric acid
    So you are just tipping drain cleaner into the drain, so don't worry, just be careful doing the dilution right. Unless you have a blocked drain, in which case just tip it down there

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11704
    tFB Trader
    If you added a solution of caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) it reacts to leave salt and water as I recall, but don't know how safe the reaction is.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12069
    If you added a solution of caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) it reacts to leave salt and water as I recall, but don't know how safe the reaction is.
    BANG
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Don't dilute it with water! add it slowly to an excess of water. If you add water to strong acid it's a bad idea since it liberates a lot of heat which can result in spitting - not good. Whereas if 
    Well, yes.

I wasn't suggesting tipping some water in the tupperware container. Should have been more clear!
    I work in a lab*, you'd be astonished (or worryingly not) how many otherwise REALLY bright people forget the rule of "always add acid", so I'm happy to see it repeated! 

Dilute it into lots of water & it'll wash away down the drain without issues. As FelineGuitars suggest you COULD neutralise/raise the pH of it by adding an alkali (washing powder/sodium bicarb being easily available) but it's overkill, and potentially not something you want to dabble with.

*Today's health and safety excitement involved a grad student warming a sealed bottle of agar using the microwave! When I noticed & pointed out that she was essentially creating a bomb she was a bit sheepish. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    You can put it down the drain.

Some high power drain cleaners contain hydrochloric.

Don't mix it with anything or some really nasty things can happen. For example mix it with toilet duck and you will get chlorine gas which in an enclosed space can kill you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bleeding hell. Like the anarchist's cook book on here.

(kidding - GCHQ)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    (Former lab technician here) It's safe to wash acids and alkalis down the ordinary drain providing you use plenty of water - they're inherently water dilutable and in the quantities they will reach the water system they won't do any harm. Don't mix any of them together, they can produce a lot of heat and possibly dangerous gases as monquixote said.

It's mostly organics - solvents, oils etc - you must not put down the drain. They don't mix, dissolve or dilute with water and can cause contamination.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9744
    My old chemistry teacher used to say:

"Always do what you oughta, and add the acid to the water"

Good advice.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Thanks for the tips lads, into a bucket of water it'll go and down the bog with it.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Make sure you protect your self against splash back. Seen some shocking eye injuries on some h&s videos.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited June 2015
    I often have to dispose of spent ie reasonably dilute HF after use. My method is a.sink full of water with a handful of chalk powder in it.

Would probably work for most acids