At the moment instrumental stuff aint doing it for me!

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
At the moment I just can't be bothered with instrumental music. Everything I want to listen to is more standard rock or metal fare, with a heavy focus on good vocalists. I guess it's because of my interest in singing, but right now I just can't be bothered with anything else!

I hope this aint permanent!!! *gulp*
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2015
    I'm not the greatest lover of instrumental stuff full stop. I like it in small doses but it lyrics for me everytime - unlike those lyrics are the kind of toss Nicky Wire writes nowadays, of course.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I like a good instrumental now and then, but it always comes back to vocals for me too. Instrumental music is more susceptible to being a little meandering and 'lost' without the focal point of a singer to tie it all together, for me.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Hopefully this will change your mind...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    vocals are the wasted space between the real music
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    So long as it's not magic, Druids and dragons or lower sixth form cod romantic lines like 'yank my man sausage' ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    The only instrumental music that I listen to is classical piano [Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven etc.] or traditional Irish or Scottish music. Over the years I have bought CDs and listened to instrumental guitar, almost all of which I thought was pure drivel.

If you listen to enough music, you will (eventually) realize that the function of a band is to support the lead vocalist.  If your band is lucky enough to have a decent lead vocalist, treasure him/her as he/she is your main meal ticket.  Even if YOU can play Eruption backwards!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Maynehead said:

Trivium are wank.

I'm not a huge fan of lyrics, I don't know most lyrics to most of my favourite songs, but I don't really like most instrumental stuff either. I guess I'm a fan of "vocals as music".
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Maynehead said:

Thanks for the link @Maynehead, but that piece is so typical of what I don't like re instrumental music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    I think it's natural.

At various times I've been mostly focused on bass, vocals, drums, or guitar and I've found myself gravitating to music featuring whichever one I'm favouring
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    Thanks for the link @Maynehead, but that piece is so typical of what I don't like re instrumental music.
    Don't judge any genre of music based on it's lowest common denominator...
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Do you like classical music? If you don't really know any, there's a whole world out there for you to explore.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Ahh Ozric Tentacles. I don't know how I got into them... But maybe it was something to do with the ridiculous name?? But I love their "The Floor's Too Far Away" album. It's not classical music by any measure. I lean toward guitar based or synth based (or both) music with instrumental. I'm a big fan of acoustic guitar instrumental stuff, but it has to be more melodic rather than just chords. So I could happily listen to Thomas Leeb, Billy McLaughlin, Andy McKee, Don Ross, Mike Dawes, Gordon Giltrap, Tommy Emmanuel etc all day. ;)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    I think it's natural.

At various times I've been mostly focused on bass, vocals, drums, or guitar and I've found myself gravitating to music featuring whichever one I'm favouring

Yeah, this is definitely true. Sometimes I look through my iPod and think "What is that shit doing on there?", then I remember it was when I was trying to figure how how some technique or another worked for a piece.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited May 2015
    Trivium are wank.

I'm not a huge fan of lyrics, I don't know most lyrics to most of my favourite songs, but I don't really like most instrumental stuff either. I guess I'm a fan of "vocals as music".

Feel free to post something that you don't think is wank then :-B

I'm not into Trivium either but I thought this instrumental is pretty good and tells a story for me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Anything by 65daysofstatic

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You only need the first two 65dos albums. Everything else is pish.
    Meshuggah most of the time they're the perfect example of what I meant by "vocals as an instrument" up above. It's not like you're singing along to the words.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    viz said:
    Do you like classical music? If you don't really know any, there's a whole world out there for you to explore.
    Wisdom.

Beethoven is a sure fire way to remedy this dilemma. The opening chords to the offering below are monsters!