Where do you FIND your new music?

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
edited May 2015 in Music
There are so many outlets these days. I only recently discovered (thanks to this site!) that Faith No More have a new album out... and again on here I found another guy called Doug Rappoport who has a solo CD out on CDBaby. CDBaby looks good for independent releases but even then there are MANY websites dedicated to independent musicians so you might easily "miss out". I like the "music" section in the guitar magazines as those usually highlight new albums. 
Just wondering what you use / what you'd recommend? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72493
    Up to the minute commercial stuff - radio.

More random stuff of any age and type - charity shops.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Yeah charity shops is a good one. Can't stand radio these days :(
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited May 2015
    Spotify has got alot better for this lately.

You get notifications if an artist you have 'saved' release anything, and there's loads of playlists for discovering new stuff, as well as links from every band to other bands people like to jump around.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    Bits and pieces from everywhere really - someone on 6 Music, Jools Holland or even something in passing that I can quickly Shazam. 

I've given up with music review sites. Pitchfork gives me a headache and less said about the current state of NME, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I get a lot of tips from tuning in to specific radio programs on my local University station(CFRC Kingston ON Canada)  They now post mp3's of each broadcast in one hour increments so I can download them and really get into it.  I should add that I have very eclectic taste, new experimental, electronic, prog rock, marshal, industrial, neo-folk etc...., I've mentioned a podcast here before called "Aural Apocalypse" that I also glean new music from but they just stopped producing new episodes late last year.  There are archives online of most past episodes though, if you're inclined to venture into some new and strange musical territory.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    It used to be news/reviews in magazines, but now I only buy guitar mags (as opposed to music mags), which only have a few reviews. Plus they tend to be pretty mainstream and months out of date.

Nowadays, I'm on the email mailing lists for a few record labels who release stuff I like - e.g. Nuclear Blast and Relapse.  And when I find something I do like, I use the "Related Artists" links on Spotify quite a lot.

I do still struggle to keep up to date, though - I often find that a favourite band has released an album (or even two or three!) without me realising it.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    On the strength of seeing a video posted on this very forum I bought both albums by Public Service Broadcasting and I am a happier man for doing so.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Rateyourmusic.com forums.  
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Record stores
    Stop crying, start buying
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    Youtube, radio 6 music, Later and forums. Often someone mentions a band as a sound reference and I have no idea who they are. One youtube live set later and I'm hooked (or not). HC got me into Black Keys, Offset guitars got me onto Tame Impala and this one got me into Deer Tick. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Spotify, Youtube, Facebook, Last.FM, and friend recommendations. I don't really read reviews or go into music shops anymore.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Not so much "new" but Radio 2 will throw up something in each hour listened that I want to explore (or revisit) from the past 60 years.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I've started reading Prog magazine - found out about a lot of new bands through there.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    jpttaylor said:
    less said about the current state of NME, the better.
    NME was shite back in the 70s. You saying it's even worse now?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • My mate Stu
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    My mate Stu
    There's always one...
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    edited May 2015
    jpttaylor said:
    less said about the current state of NME, the better.
    NME was shite back in the 70s. You saying it's even worse now?
    When I started getting into music in the late '70s, early '80s, I bought Sounds and Melody Maker.  In those days it seemed that NME were doing their best to pretend that rock and metal music didn't actually exist.  I've never bought it since.  

But to give it credit, it outlived those other papers.  I still miss Sounds.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    slacker;651907" said:
    Youtube, radio 6 music, Later and forums. 
    Pretty much this for me with the addition of Mojo magazine and Spotify - the discover tool can be fairly random but does also give some decent recommendations.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Listen to the Bob Harris late show on BBC iplayer - loads of good stuff on there.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72493
    Philly_Q said:
    When I started getting into music in the late '70s, early '80s, I bought Sounds and Melody Maker.  In those days it seemed that NME were doing their best to pretend that rock and metal music didn't actually exist.  I've never bought it since.  
    But to give it credit, it outlived those other papers.
    I haven't read it for at least thirty years, but I seem to remember it wasn't a magazine for musicians or actually about music really, it was a lifestyle magazine written by and for people who like certain types of music in order to appear cool and who are far too much so to actually learn how to make any themselves. This is a much larger target market than actual musicians, hence why it survives.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein