Opinions please, on this contemporary music.

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
edited May 2015 in Music
"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    Info:

Composer: Ann Cleare

Title: I am not a clockmaker either

For accordion and electronics

The title ‘I am not a clockmaker either’ is taken from the writings of Morton Feldman. In this work, the quote signifies my investigation of sonic, temporal and spatial structures, and their continuously shifting priorities as they are reconstructed into alternative sonic morphologies.

The piece sets into motion a physical force which dissects the instrument into acute shards or material and reconstitutes it in a completely restructured manner. As if one were to take the pieces of a broken egg and glue them back together in such a way that the original oval shape is hardly recognisable.

Through this forceful dissection also comes disruption: as one sonic particle takes lead, it is interrupted, resulting in a new form or organisation emerging: each element of the disorganisation being recontextualised within the next disorganisation. This deconstructive force creates a motion that breaks, ruptures, diverts, convolutes, and coils up on itself so that fragments of the accordion are pulverised together, swirl around one another like clouds, rotate, implode or turn themselves inside out.

Also the space in which the placing and direction of these objects is continuously revaluated: as a certain spatial motion evolves, another intervenes, scrambling it and so a spatial direction of a different nature emerges. These perspectival shifts allow one to zoom in and out on certain fragments of the resynthesised accordion.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I don't not hate it as much as I don't not love it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    After reading the title and description for the piece, I was disappointed with the actuality of the composition.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    I tried to respond in the style of the performance.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    edited May 2015
    I quite liked it which, considering accordian is one of my least favourite instruments, is quite high praise. The accordian is the Devil's Own Instrument which is probably why it's at its best when making an ungodly racket.

I prefer Kimmo Pohjonen, though  (solo from about 5'25").....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXgssoTVgJo

I'm less enamored with the written description above, though. But, I guess, in classical circles it's a bit of a necessity to say something about a piece so that all those people who are only pretending to like it have something to talk about.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    I quite liked it which, considering accordian is one of my least favourite instruments, is quite high praise. The accordian is the Devil's Own Instrument which is probably why it's at its best when making an ungodly racket.

I'm less enamored with the written description above, though. But, I guess, in classical circles it's a bit of a necessity to say something about a piece so that all those people who are only pretending to like it have something to talk about.
    ;)
    I quite like some of this sort of stuff from a sonic point of view too, but the level of pretentious drivel in the description really makes me question whether the composer is listening to it as interesting sound in itself, or whether that's an accidental result of the contrived way it's been written.

I've got a few albums of sort-of similar stuff which I quite like to listen to, but fortunately don't include anything in the way of similar artistic wankery.

Here's an example by Martin Archer -

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2015
    More serious contemporary classical music stuff, but will anyone listen to the full 35mins?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited May 2015
    GuyBoden said:
    More serious contemporary classical music stuff, but will anyone listen to the full 35mins?
    I will, later. I do genuinely like this sort of thing.

Here's another piece, by Matthew Whiteside. I know the viola player, she's a serious classical musician who wouldn't be doing this if she didn't think it was good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

;)
    I quite like some of this sort of stuff from a sonic point of view too, but the level of pretentious drivel in the description really makes me question whether the composer is listening to it as interesting sound in itself, or whether that's an accidental result of the contrived way it's been written.

I've got a few albums of sort-of similar stuff which I quite like to listen to, but fortunately don't include anything in the way of similar artistic wankery.

Here's an example by Martin Archer -

That's quite interesting. 
    GuyBoden said:

I'll give it a listen later - watching S. Korean robots on 'Click' on BBC News channel at the moment!
    Do you think that the Contemporary Classicists say things like, "I prefer the old atonal stuff, like Arnold Schoenberg, I don't like this modern stuff".

Classic Atonal Schoenberg:
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    @GuyBoden that description is one of the most pretentious things I've read (I know you didn't read it, just saying).  
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Noise.

Music = rhythm + melody + harmony, all of which are dependent on repeating patterns - even down to the waveforms of the sounds used for the notes, which in the case of musical notes is usually regular, and usually irregular otherwise. Distinctions can be blurred, you could say the sound of an internal combustion engine is regular but some of us would hesitate to classify it as a musical note.

But that stuff? Noise.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    GuyBoden said:
    Info:

"Composer: Ann Cleare

Title: I am not a clockmaker either

For accordion and electronics

The title ‘I am not a clockmaker either’ is taken from the writings of Morton Feldman. In this work, the quote signifies my investigation of sonic, temporal and spatial structures, and their continuously shifting priorities as they are reconstructed into alternative sonic morphologies.

The piece sets into motion a physical force which dissects the instrument into acute shards or material and reconstitutes it in a completely restructured manner. As if one were to take the pieces of a broken egg and glue them back together in such a way that the original oval shape is hardly recognisable.

Through this forceful dissection also comes disruption: as one sonic particle takes lead, it is interrupted, resulting in a new form or organisation emerging: each element of the disorganisation being recontextualised within the next disorganisation. This deconstructive force creates a motion that breaks, ruptures, diverts, convolutes, and coils up on itself so that fragments of the accordion are pulverised together, swirl around one another like clouds, rotate, implode or turn themselves inside out.

Also the space in which the placing and direction of these objects is continuously revaluated: as a certain spatial motion evolves, another intervenes, scrambling it and so a spatial direction of a different nature emerges. These perspectival shifts allow one to zoom in and out on certain fragments of the resynthesised accordion."

Noise.

Music = rhythm + melody + harmony, all of which are dependent on repeating patterns - even down to the waveforms of the sounds used for the notes, which in the case of musical notes is usually regular, and usually irregular otherwise. Distinctions can be blurred, you could say the sound of an internal combustion engine is regular but some of us would hesitate to classify it as a musical note.

But that stuff? Noise.
    But, what do you think about her description of the composition?

I'd agree with that but I also think there is also such a thing as 'sonic art' - whether it be noise, collage, whatever - and that the boundaries between 'music' and 'sonic art' are mutable and can be blurred, even in a single piece.

I'd say the piece in the original post shows some evidence of rhythm and possibly some harmonic textures but, without hearing more of it, I'm not sure what camp I'd place it in.
    GuyBoden said:
    I think it's a very verbose way of saying 'I've processed the sound using various effects'.
    toshimaru nakamura - no input mixing board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqfGbtqDVDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXQ12QC8-Tk

Is it 'music'? He thinks it is.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    GuyBoden said:
    I think it's a very pretentious way of saying 'I've processed the sound using various effects'.
    ftfy ;)

sure ain't rock'n'roll ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    One good thing about this type of music, is that I learned to spell "contemporary". :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    GuyBoden said:

I liked the brevity.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom