Joe Barden Tele pickups

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7459
edited May 2015 in Guitar
Anyone used Joe Barden Tele pickups ? 

I'm doing a build and not sure whether to go for these (err, just because, and the noise cancelling would be cool) or a set of basic Lolars  (because I recall they were great and versatile in the Warmoth Tele I had) 

In fact, if you were putting pickups in a Tele, not with the aim of playing both kinds of music (Country AND Western) but as a versatile (funk, blues, classic rock) guitar, what would you be thinking? 

ta 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I've just stuck one of Oil City's excellent tapped bridge p'ups along with a custom wound Crash Magnetics neck into one of my Teles and couldn't be happier with the results. I was aiming for versatile and would say I've nailed it. I've been down the noiseless route and would say don't get hung up on it.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Yep they are good fun. BKP have just released the Cobra Tele pickups too. I'd like to give those a go.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The Bardens are lovely, but very pricey. I have been through a *lot* of Tele pickups and, genuinely, the best I have found so far is the Oil City Californian neck and Forty Niner bridge. Really. Dynamic, pokey, defined, they have it all. Honestly, talk to Ash.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7459
    Yes another set of Oil City is an option.
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I had a set in my black paisley for a bit. Really nice, maybe a little shrill if you're used to meatier sounding things and play into a Twin, but I like a lot of top end so I loved them. The noiseless-ness was really nice for gigging. 

I only swapped them when I got a set of BKP Bosses in the other Tele, which were just so meaty and juicy and all the other daft "tone words" that the Bardens felt a bit weedy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    This is video might give some food for thought (bit of funk, country and rock in there)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I've got a Wilde L48TL in my guitar at the moment. It's rather nice. I prefer it to all the bridge pickups so far (Tonerider hot classic, one of Mojo marc's Broadcaster pickups, and a Bareknuckle Yardbird) none of which sounded as Tele as I had in mind - this one does, frequency-wise, although the attack is maybe not quite as gunshot-spanky as a true Tele SC. 

At the same time as I bought the L48TL, I bought an L200TL to experiment with - it's their take on a more classic Tele sound, with alnico rod magnets instead of rails, but still noise-cancelling. I haven't got round to putting it in to try yet. In fact, you can borrow it if you like. 
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Thought about bardens myself. think Hotrox are the only UK dealer and they dont have the modern t (warmer ,more mids less toppy) in stock- Buying from US would prove expensive with taxes and such
    Worth having a look at Wilde pickups made by Bill Lawerence-they do have twin blades tele bridge, hum cancelling with pole pieces and keystones which although not humbucking are designed for low noise.
    Sound pretty good to my ears

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    The caveat with the Wilde rail pickups is, apparently Bill couldn't get a twin-blade pickup into a tele neck sized pickup without it being too much of a tonal compromise by his reckoning. So if you want the matching neck pickup, you have to get one of his strat pickups and open up the hole in the scratchplate. Or get one of his other, non-rail, noiseless tele neck pickups.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Consider some Mojo Pickups' Tele options. 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Does the USA Vice-President really have the time to wind his own pickups?
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    For noise cancelling, the DiMarzio Area T seem to have a good reputation though I can't say I've tried them myself - and cost a lot less than the Joe Bardens.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    BigLicks67;653739" said:
    This is video might give some food for thought (bit of funk, country and rock in there)

• woodywoody Frets: 74
    Serious playing there big licks.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    woody said:
    Serious playing there big licks.
    Yep, he's called Jarmo Hynninen  - check out some of his other videos on you tube : >
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4146
    I have the Voodoo TE50 used just about everything over the years, but stopped dead after this one. Do still like the idea of a Oil City tapped pickup though.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned that Joey Barton is now a free agent as he was released by Queens Park Rangers.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    edited June 2015
    I have Bardens in a bunch of guitars (including a certain gold top telecaster). 
    They are much brighter than most people expect them to be.

That can require taming, but if you can work with that they are very dynamic and raw sounding.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I've been using Joe Barden pickups in various Tele-style guitars for longer than I care to remember - almost since he started making them. In a nutshell, I love the single-coil sized neck humbucker and it is my No 1 choice for Tele neck pickup. I found the single-coil sized bridge pickup to be a just a little shrill and lacking in harmonics regardless of the body wood (swamp ash, alder, poplar and embuya) so I've generally used single-coil non-humbucking pickups at the bridge. However, I have an alder-bodied Tele with the Barden single-coil sized humbucker at the neck and a Barden Two-Tone full-size tapped humbucker at the bridge and that is a really nice sounding setup. Charlie Chandler stocks a range of Joe Barden pickups. I don't know about Hotrox.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7459
    octatonic said:
    (including a certain gold top telecaster). 
    Oh you had to rub it in ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom