Your favourite woahhhh moments in songs.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    d8m said:

1:54  That bass riff!
    Alright, so, when I heard Foals for the first time - it was seeing the music video for "Cassius" on MTV. 
    I got immediately pissed off with the disjointed, jangly riffery.

But this?? What is this? The 2nd song in less than a week that I've heard off this latest Foals album and it's actually really cool. That bit where it just hits heavy is so freakin cool! Thanks for sharing. The other song I heard that I was getting into was "My Number". Very cool. :D
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    d8m said:

1:54  That bass riff!
    Alright, so, when I heard Foals for the first time - it was seeing the music video for "Cassius" on MTV. 
    I got immediately pissed off with the disjointed, jangly riffery.

But this?? What is this? The 2nd song in less than a week that I've heard off this latest Foals album and it's actually really cool. That bit where it just hits heavy is so freakin cool! Thanks for sharing. The other song I heard that I was getting into was "My Number". Very cool. :D
    Yeh I really wasn't keen on their earlier stuff, a bit to 'jangly' for me.

I never gave Inhaler a listen for ages as I thought it would be more of the same, I eventually gave this song a listen and it was all going as usual then the chorus hit me liek a kick in the goolies!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    Two of my favourite noises ever committed to tape: Debbie Harry at 2:05

...and Wendy James at 0:08
    Damn, I'd forgotten all about Wendy James :).

Wisdom for it being almost impossible to beat those examples in the literal sense.

I am now also showing my age by thinking that the white Gretsch is pretty cool.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308
    Definitely the sax solo in Will you by Hazel O'Connor.One of the most emotionally charged pieces of music I've ever heard.Never tire of it.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10308

Nuno's solo.Just brilliant.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
    When Merry Clayton's vocals kick in on Gimme Shelter.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316

When the syncopated wah bit ends at the beginning of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and the lead part kicks in, it builds then BOOM! The main guitar kicks in... Muddy Waters style... Heaven

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    Great thread Mr. OP. One for me is the beginning of The Mirror by Dream Theater at 37 minutes here. They have a simple duh-duh-duh motif, and they make 3 different time signatures out of that without actually changing the riff. So the landscape keeps switching and you go .. Woahh.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    edited June 2015
    Going through these. That White Stripes track references Led Zep in the fuzz section doesn't it? Bit of a double woahhh.

I'll play as well - this is a long bit of music by my standards but probably my favourite fuzz user and certainly a woahhh what's going on here moment first time I heard it around 3:08

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    octatonic;657231" said:
    Then go back to 3:52 and hear one of the mightiest riffs of all time and then marvel at the total confidence and restraint they have to only play for one refrain, then its gone and they are onto something else.Very few bands have the stones to do that sort of thing- anyone else would hammer it into the ground until it loses all meaning and relevance.Consequently this song never gets old to me.
    Something similar happens on the first Perfect Circle album which is my favourite example of that sort of thing - the little string figure at 0:10 in 3 Libras. It just happens once, this beautiful little moment, then it's gone.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    edited June 2015
    mike_l;657206" said:
    At 3-52, one of my favourite guitar parts, harmony from 4-08, the delay laden part at 5-34Youimage

You're not wrong there. That's one of my favourite moments in music, ever. Had such an effect on me when I was 15 back in 88. 

Here's another one. "The spell begins to break...." and all that follows - it's around 8:56. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4148
    Just thought of another that's been with me almost as long. When Julianne's voice hits that note at 3:41 and it echoes away. I'd happily have crawled across broken glass to marry her when I was 16 just because of that single note.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited June 2015
    3:22 when the whole band comes together and makes the most powerful and yet sweetest noise in musical history.... with only four instruments.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom