Vibrato/ tremolo/ whammy bar inspiration

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
Whatever you want to call it...

...anyway, I'm looking for inspiration and ideas to steal. Post your favourite links to vids or song suggestions that show off your favourite players making good use of the bar.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72506

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9711
    Best uses of whammy bar are...

Pretty much anything by Hank Marvin
    Pretty much any Lord David of Gilmour solo
    Star Spangled Banner as played by Jimi
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I'll have to chuck my own suggestion in at this point. 

Jeff Beck, Where Were You. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Seeing as the two that instantly jumped into my head have already been posted I'll go all widdly with Satch (and a clip from the Expo '92 show).
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited June 2015
    Jimmy Herring: Michael Lee Firkins played some amazing whammy stuff, but is more of a slide player now. Steve Vai:
    Vai and Satch I like but don't own any records. A little goes a long way in terms of ideas when I hear them. Plenty worth nicking there though.

Herring I don't know but I shall have a good look at that vid. I know Jeff Beck does slide type slurs but that's worth looking at a bit more.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Some great vids in there. 
    thomasross20;654914" said:
    Some great vids in there. 
    I agree. Ask a genuine question round here and people always kindly deliver.

Still waiting for @gassage to rock up with some choice Gilmour though.

;)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    edited June 2015
    OK- this is utterly insane DG. I have posted this before, and seemingly, according to 'those close to the band' DG had met Crosby during the day and they'd imbibed.

It is monster playing- scroll to 4.40 and you will hear David like never before. I wish he'd do this more often. Sublime.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

All things Jeff Beck! Behind the Veil and Nadia would be two of my biggest favourites.

I don't think there is anyone more expressive with the trem than Jeff Beck.

If you go for histrionics or believe Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" is better than Dolly Parton's version then no doubt you'll disagree ;)

However for chords, I'd loved to find out what was used for Zappa's Zombie Woof .. but also Brian Setzer is a master of chordal trem ... harder to do with a strat type trem but possible.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Some great Jeff Beck faux slide work here 

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    frankus said:

I don't think there is anyone more expressive with the trem than Jeff Beck.

I'd agree, his control of the trem absolutely amazes me.  It's funny whenever Beck comes up over on TGP, there's always a chorus of "Wish he'd stop using that stupid whammy bar, it ruins everything" and I start wanting to invent a button to slap people over HTTP. :D

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    edited June 2015
    @Gassage Great post mate. Really enjoyed that. 

@frankus @fuzzdog

Yes, I think Beck is the master too. It's absolutely integral to his playing. 

Funny thing is, if you compare stuff like "Flash" from 1985 when he was starting to use the bar a lot more, that's a Floyd, and he's doing quite a lot of fairly straightforward dips, bombs and the like.

Then you fast forward to "Guitar Shop" from the end of the 80s and the 'later Beck' style is pretty much there with the two point trem and using it all the time not just for 'tricks' but for phrasing and playing melodies. 

Here's Michael Casswell showing how some of it's done. 

Spent the night messing with the whammy. So much more satisfying than insane noodling.
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    Every vai song. Check bad horsie, for the love of god (live versions), whispering a prayer, the end of blue powder, you name it, there's whammy expression.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I've sort of gone off Vai a bit - no doubt I'll come round again at some point. 

What I can't stand right now is all this new age fusion guitar playing (I wont even name names) - I find it so bland!!
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    edited June 2015
    Whammy bars are to be abused.....lesson 1...............

love Becks use of the whammy too... bit more subtle than Mr B haha
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Blackmore
    Uli Jon Roth
    Trey Azagthoth
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited June 2015
    I would suggest Richie Blackmore's solo on Rainbow's 'Stargazer'

Assuming of course it's not just clever string bends 
    :-O
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited June 2015
    Saying nobody's mentioned him - I had a wtf moment on hearing this guy 'play' a trem - I hadn't heard of Mr Holdsworth back then - the late great Alan Murphy

Seemed like a good idea.....