New Very Old Amp Day!

What's Hot
AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 851
Picked up this bad boy today....

Its a 1955 Selmer TV15...

In incredible condition considering its age..
One owner from new and.......

ALL the original paperwork!
They even included a circuit diagram of your new amp back then!

"Feedback is the greatest  bane of any PA man's existence" !!!
Brilliant stuff!

Its has to go to a tech as its wired for dc/ac and has a three pin plug kind of "inserted" into it.. 
I havent plugged i tin and i Wont until its back form the doctors...
Ive spoken to ICBM about the electrical side of it....
Very cool overall though..
Original valves still in it... K33's...

Pretty chuffed ;)
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 38reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    Love it, and having the original paperwork is really amazing!!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That looks awesome very cool. I'd give you multiple wows if I could \m/
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Is that snakeskin/ray/shark? That is just fabulous.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280
    That is really something!
  • That's a cool thing.  Hope it sounds good as well when it's been checked over.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Amazing find my friend. Good practice to get it checked over by a tech before using it. It looks great as it is. Rust, dirt etc is real, the scars of 60 years life.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I've talked to Aidan already about it, and it doesn't need checking over so much as completely rebuilding. This type of direct-rectified amp can be extremely dangerous if not converted to modern standards, which not least will involve having a mains transformer fitted as well as fusing, plus all the electrolytic caps replaced and maybe some other stuff that might have deteriorated.

It's not as simple as fitting a 3-pin plug and hoping for the best - in fact if you do, it will probably trip the circuit breaker on any modern distribution box - for a good reason. Essentially the live-neutral circuit is not isolated from the workings of the amp, so you can't earth it without causing a current leak to earth, as well as potentially having the chassis live if you don't.

The good news is that it should be possible to keep the non-mains part of the circuit original (apart from replacing old components with modern equivalents of the same value), so it will still sound like it was meant to. If anything, there's a good chance that the original valves will still work OK! They are not among the parts that typically degrade with age.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Fantastic find, good luck with the restoration.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

I have two of those Goodmans speakers. Unfortunately son put a Strat headstock thru one of the cones but it is just torn and can be repaired when I can be arsed to get the cab out of the junk and stripped.

We found them to have a distinctly "twonky" sound compared to a V30, have you heard one lately IC?

And, oh yes! AC/DC kit, only thing MORE dangerous was the Line Cord radio! Shock AND fire hazard.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

We found them to have a distinctly "twonky" sound compared to a V30, have you heard one lately IC?

Yes, every day :).

Not for guitar though - the bass speaker in my workshop "hi-fi" cabinet is an Audiom 150.

I know exactly what you mean about the sound for guitar, and I agree - very distinctive and clearly an "old" sound, very nice in its own way although not particularly versatile.

Be very careful with the power ratings though, even the claimed 15W is probably optimistic, despite the size of the magnet assembly. Tiny little fragile paper voice coil.

ecc83 said:
    And, oh yes! AC/DC kit, only thing MORE dangerous was the Line Cord radio! Shock AND fire hazard.
    I remember reading about those but I don't think I've ever come across one. Isn't that where the mains cable was made from a specific length of Constantan resistance wire and acted as the voltage regulator? So if you shortened or replaced the cable, the radio then blew up...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Wow added.

A museum piece to be sure, I love it.

I bet that could tell some stories.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    wow to the power of wowsers :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    I feel like I should be able to give you another wow for having the patience and self-restraint not to plug it in and see what it was like as soon as you got it home - not sure I could have stopped myself!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

" So if you shortened or replaced the cable, the radio then blew up... "

Bit worse then that! People used to shorten the cable and it would then overheat and ignite the carpet! Line cord had almost gone by the time I went into the trade (53yrs ago!) but iirc there was a (black then) neutral and wound around that was a heatproof insulator which, now I think about it, was almost certainly spun asbestos! Around that was a slow wind of resistance wire for the live.

AC/DC radios died out fairly quickly but then TV came in and it was far too costly to fit mains traffs! So, if you got it wrong with the earlier sets the chassis was at 240V . Later on, with sstate rectifiers you did not even have the 50-50 chance since the chassis was either live or at half live!

It took decades and the coming of video and the Scart connector to eventually force isolated chassis onto the market.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to get or built up as a power amp and run something like an ethos or royal overdrive into it for fits and giggles! Prob change speaker too... Would def be a head turner!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • awesome, is it light bulb socket powered :D
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Think these have got series-filament heaters but can't remember. @ICBM can you confirm?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

BigMonka said:
    I feel like I should be able to give you another wow for having the patience and self-restraint not to plug it in and see what it was like as soon as you got it home - not sure I could have stopped myself!
    Hopefully the fear of death by electrocution would have stopped you… if the amp didn't simply blow up.

It's *really* not a good idea to just plug in old electrical gear to 'just see if it works'. Many years ago a friend of mine bought an old Marshall 50W amp that had been sitting in a garage for at least twenty years, and even though I told him not to, he couldn't resist trying it… bang. It did a lot of damage that would have been avoided if he'd had it properly checked and serviced first.

RiftAmps said:
    Think these have got series-filament heaters but can't remember. @ICBM can you confirm?
    As far as I know all direct-rectified equipment does. It should be a fairly simple job to rewire them for parallel when fitting the mains transformer though - assuming they're all 6.3V types.

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744

I'd love to get or built up as a power amp and run something like an ethos or royal overdrive into it for fits and giggles! Prob change speaker too... Would def be a head turner!
    Nice.
    :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    #Oh my TV 15 O-Ho#!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>