What drives / boosts for already driven amp?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBM said:

The Boss SD-1 is definitely a TS-type too, but it seems to work better with Marshall-type amps for some reason. It's also far cheaper than a (real) TS, let alone any fancy copy. It still works well as a boost even when both the amp and the pedal are quite dirty.

I can confirm this.  I've got an SD1 and a Visual Sound 808 (which is similar to an OD808).  They definitely sound different.  The SD1 was the clear winner in to a Blackstar S1 104 head (Marshallesque) but I prefer the 808 in to my Mesa Roadster.  

There is a crossover point where I can get them to sound quite similar, but beyond that one can be tweaked to get sounds the other can't and vice versa.

I can get harder and more immediate sounding tones out of the SD1, it feels like the VS808 blends more in to the amp's tone - at least with the Mesa anyway.  I feel like I can tweak the SD1 to make pinch harmonics pop out more too.

I thought it wouldn't be worth owning both as I was happy with the VS pedal, but I received the SD1 in a part ex and have found it useful on occasion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited August 2013
    Xotic EP Boost
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    Bidley said:
    The DOD YJM308 (Yngwie sig) pedal is designed to be used into a dirty amp, so that may be worth a look. Other than that the MXR Distortion + is another classic for this sort of use.

The Mxr is a distortion stupid. Tell him monquixote!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ftumch said:
    Bidley said:
    The DOD YJM308 (Yngwie sig) pedal is designed to be used into a dirty amp, so that may be worth a look. Other than that the MXR Distortion + is another classic for this sort of use.

Didn't The Late Randy Rhoads use an MXR D+ as an O/D pedal?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    mike_l said:
    ftumch said:
    Bidley said:

Yes, as did many other 80's bands.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Multi-post result. ;-)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    bertie said:
    What hywel said  about using clean(ish)

RC or AC boost  -  or a cleaner setting of something like a Boiling Point (which I love, and I know ICBM doesnt )  or a DLS
    This.
    photek said:
    The sounds I have liked so far have been from clean boosts which goes along with what you guys are saying for sure. I am seriously thinking about a koko boost so I have the option of a mid boost as well and once the middle man boost arrives that should give me a good idea of if I like mid boosts.
    I guess my next questions is can you have too much mid? I use a mid heavy sound as it is and sometimes wonder if by adding too many mids I go past the point where my sound cuts.
    I use a pretty mid-heavy sound and tend to use an Xotic AC for just a bit more. Set with gain rolled nearly all the way off, volume up, bass down and treble up. Because the amp is already very middle-y that seems to stop it sounding too sharp high up or too muddy low down.
    mike_l said:
    ftumch said:
    Bidley said:

I d
    Bidley said:
    mike_l said:
    ftumch said:
    Bidley said:

Yes, as did many other 80's bands.

Maybe read the thread?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    edited August 2013
    ICBM said:

The Boss SD-1 is definitely a TS-type too, but it seems to work better with Marshall-type amps for some reason. It's also far cheaper than a (real) TS, let alone any fancy copy. It still works well as a boost even when both the amp and the pedal are quite dirty.

I can confirm this.  I've got an SD1 and a Visual Sound 808 (which is similar to an OD808).  They definitely sound different.  The SD1 was the clear winner in to a Blackstar S1 104 head (Marshallesque) but I prefer the 808 in to my Mesa Roadster.  

There is a crossover point where I can get them to sound quite similar, but beyond that one can be tweaked to get sounds the other can't and vice versa.

I can get harder and more immediate sounding tones out of the SD1, it feels like the VS808 blends more in to the amp's tone - at least with the Mesa anyway.  I feel like I can tweak the SD1 to make pinch harmonics pop out more too.
    That's what I found too. Even with my Mesa (which I set quite 'Marshally'), the SD-1 produced more harmonics than the TS - I think it's probably down to the asymetrical clipping, although I never bothered to test it. Really good for pinch/false harmonics and silly widdly lead stuff :). I assume that's why Zakk Wylde used the SD-1 with a Marshall.

I didn't want it to blend into the amp tone, quite the opposite - I liked it because it made it do something different. I don't really have any practical use for that sort of sound though, so I got bored of it quite quickly and sold the pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    ftumch said:

Maybe read the thread?
    I'm pretty sure I did. What exactly is the problem here?
    I'd like to know that myself
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Out of the pedals I currently own I would say there are 4 that would suit your needs. The Emerson EmDrive may be a very simple circuit and overpriced at times but it certainly seems to add something special. I tend to leave mine on a fairly low setting and have it on all the time as it stacks really well.

The JHS Double Barrel is very versatile although I tend to favour the morning glory side over the TS808 at the moment. My Pedalmonsters Whale Boost is a slightly dirty boost that has a nice shimmer to it. The control layout with the side mounted pot also makes it easy to control by foot!

The Lovepedal Les Lius fits in well when the amp is on edge of break up for that Tweedish type driven sound and when stacked with the Emdrive it's like a sweet tweed on steroids.

I would certainly love to try out a Cruiser Deuce and the Rook is supposed to be very versatile as well. Next on my to buy list is the Caroline Guitar Icarus Boost and a Push And Pull pedals San B. Check out Curtis Kents YouTube reviews to see why.

Sorry to just add to the list! I'm a newbie here so hope I just haven't listed 4 of the 100 pedals your already tried! Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Thanks dude, some great suggestions there. I am very pleased with my Greenhouse Effects Middle Man Boost so far. Need to check it in the mix first. I will check your suggestions on YouTube later.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Lazy J Cruiser Deuce :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. Don't let the (ridiculously low) price and irritating control layout put you off, it's a bloody good sounding pedal which puts a lot of much more expensive stuff in the shade...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited August 2013
    The clean boost on the Carl Martin Plexitone is awesome so might be worth checking the CM Boost Kick.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27015
    Bit of an unknown for most - Alembic Stratoblaster (probably the clone from pedalparts). Absolutely demon little mid-humped clean booster.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires