Reading Salems Lot

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
Cracking book, I gave up on IT as it rambles like fuck but this is great, more direct with less waffle, only about 100 pages in but really enjoying it. 
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2029
    First Stephen King book I ever read when I was 12 (a long, long time ago). I've read everything else since. 

It's still my favourite but only for that reason. It is a stunner but it is a huge read - worth sticking with it though.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I gave up on the Tommyknockers, soooo long I got fed up with it.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    The TV show of it made in the late 70s with David Soul was well creepy

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11701
    tFB Trader
    Few Stephen King books ever work as well on screen
    He packs so much detail into his writing.

Salems Lot was indeed good although I read it 20-25 years ago

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    lol you guys and youre book's.  i dont kneed any book's to be smart.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9674
    I read this same years ago... And thought, yep, they DO exist...! A great book...
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    I enjoyed The Stand but it's one hell of a long read.
    If you want rambling read James Herbert's last book 'Ash'.I used to love his books as a kid but that one is a total turd.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    I got a book token as a prize in sixth year, had to buy book before prize giving so it could be presented in the church service..off i went to Waterstones and bought the extended edition of The Stand, took it in to head and was told no way…was presented with a rather dull geography text book instead…enjoyed The Stand much more, though I've still go the text book…
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1803
    The Stand is my all time fave, I remember reading that he wrote it as an exercise in getting as many characters into a story a possible. He probably succeeded the extended edition ISTR was with a lighter editors touch. 
  • The Long Walk for me, Salem's Lot is also superb, grew tired of his books in the late 80s but quite enjoyed Misery. Haven't read anything by him since Green Mile
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I forget it was Stephen King.  I loved him as a kid, easy to get lost and visualise.  Think Langoliers was the last I read.  Every story/book was based in Derry, Maine though.  I don't think he gets out much. 
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11701
    tFB Trader
    Kings books were all great except for the endings. He would spend 600 pages building intricate characters and back stories and have the drama and interaction get so intense and then ..............the world blows up and it's the end.

I loved The Talisman , although that was co-written by Peter Straub

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    I read one of his books. Good character development but boy was it long. Never read another since.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Kings books were all great except for the endings. He would spend 600 pages building intricate characters and back stories and have the drama and interaction get so intense and then ..............the world blows up and it's the end.

I loved The Talisman , although that was co-written by Peter Straub
    Yeah, the ending would usually be something along the lines of some ordinary, mundane object or relationship bringing things back down to earth and solving everything...

I read all his books up to Dolores Claiborne, I've only read a couple since then and from a quick look at his bibliography he's written a hell of a lot in recent years.  The Tommyknockers was the first one I actively disliked, I believe it was written when King was having drug problems but I don't know what effect it had on his writing.

His biggest strength is that he's a great storyteller, the actual plots tend to be pretty trite.  

I'm more of a fan of Peter Straub's work, I started reading them both around the same time (early '80s I guess) but I carried on buying Straub's books long after I largely gave up on King (although I haven't read his most recent one).

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I just watched the remake of 'Salems Lot :D

Not quite as good as the original but closer to the way the book was written; worth a punt if you haven't seen it.

That and It were two of the Stephen King books I did read, I was more into James Herbert and Clive Barker. I might hunt down a few Stephen King novels :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    Talking of his endings,check.out the movie The Mist which is based on one of his short novels.The ending in the movie is handled way better than the book.
    I recently read Dr Sleep which is a follow up to The Shining.Not a bad read,a bit soppy in places the ending is too quick.It just seems really clipped when you consider the build up but still an enjoyable read.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    Ive seen The Mist @breakstuff, a great film, Frank Darabont directed it, weird thing about it is the terrible CGI at the start seems to improve as the film progresses. knockout ending.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Ive seen The Mist @breakstuff, a great film, Frank Darabont directed it, weird thing about it is the terrible CGI at the start seems to improve as the film progresses. knockout ending.
    I like the black and white version on the Blu-ray, it gives it that 1950s B-movie feel - and disguises the dodgy FX a little into the bargain.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12481
    He's a very patchy writer, especially lately. Pretty much two bad books to every decent one nowadays. He is amazing at creating believable characters though. My favourite of his is Different Seasons, a collection of short (ish) stories including the ones that were made into Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption.