tool wish list

What's Hot
Building an electric guitar.

What tools are:

a) essential
b) best to get first of the others
c) a nice luxury

I feel like starting a collection. Seems like a good time as I am re-firing up interest in building a tele from scratch.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Building a guitar or assembling a partscaster?

Either way, essential for me would be:

• Soldering iron, de-soldering braid
    • Fret levelling files / polishing kit
    • Set of screwdrivers
    • Allen keys
    • A really good straight-edge
    • A 20cm metal rule in .5 mm scale with the scale starting right at the edge
    • Set of feeler gauges
    • fret rocker
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I just wish they'd release the next damn album!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    edited June 2015
    Essential: hand planes, chisels, abrasive paper, router, tru oil, straight edge, fretting kit, nut files, usual screw drivers

Nice to have:  router table, drum sander, bearing guide bits, templates for router table use, drill press, band saw, bobbin sander

Luxury: Laser cutter, CNC, spray booth & compressor/gun.

This is off the top of my head- this is a huge rabbit hole to go down- you could spend £10k without even blinking.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    octatonic said:
    Essential: hand planes, chisels, abrasive paper, router, tru oil, straight edge, fretting kit, nut files, usual screw drivers

Nice to have:  router table, drum sander, bearing guide bits, templates for router table use, drill press, band saw, bobbin sander

Luxury: Laser cutter, CNC, spray booth & compressor/gun.

This is off the top of my head- this is a huge rabbit hole to go down- you could spend £10k without even blinking.

what makes handplanes, chisels or tru-oil essential?   for me those all go into the "nice to have" pot.    I would mainly move them out of essential because learning how to care for and use them properly can be daunting for a newb

A couple of saws needs to be on the essential list, be it a coping saw and rip saw at the cheap end, or bandsaws and table saws at the more expensive end.