KRK rokit 5 G3 v Rokit 6 ?

What's Hot
So I brought the rokit 5 G3s for £135 pair used off eBay as I'm getting into home recording and video editing. I'm recently doing a garage conversion effectively my home office/studio which will be used to run my design business and for jams/ recording is the size of s single garage obviously it will be filled with instruments equipment and usual jazz. But now I'm worried that the 5s won't be good enough and should I have brought the rokit 6s I'm really doubting my decision but I thought 135 was a good price for the 5s especially the newer g3s? Can anyone offer advice or peace of mind ? Cheers in advance fellow fretboarders
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited June 2015
    I've had G2 5 and 6 inch models. For listening to music I preferred the 5s, they sound smaller but were slightly better balanced in my setup. The 6s will let you hear more low end but unless your room acoustics are good it might not really matter much in the grand scheme of things when just starting out. If you have a decent pair of headphones you'll be able to listen to low end on those.

Why not see how you get on with the 5s for a while before thinking about spending more money?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I play in a converted garage room and would love some nice monitors (have used a hi-fi amp and speakers for years).

I'd love something like the Adam F5s (or A5Xs) but if I ever do get the chance, I'll probably end up with Rokit 5s (especially if I find some at the price you got them!).

As @guitarfishbay says, the problem with the 6s will probably be bass. I get the impression that most garages are pretty unforgiving spaces sound-wise. particularly if, like me, you can't position speakers optimally due to doors, office furniture etc. The home studio guys seem to say that unless you're prepared to spend quite a bit on acoustic treatment, big and expensive monitors are a waste of money. I know that the Rockit 6s are still cheap but I think you got a great deal on the 5s and they should be more than good enough. 

Also, don't KRK do a matching subwoofer for the Rockits? That with the Rockit 5s might make a more impressive setup than the 6s. Maybe you could pick one of them up in future if you wanted to feel more bass for jam sessions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stenio83stenio83 Frets: 81
    guitarfishbay;658874" said:
    I've had G2 5 and 6 inch models. For listening to music I preferred the 5s, they sound smaller but were slightly better balanced in my setup. The 6s will let you hear more low end but unless your room acoustics are good it might not really matter much in the grand scheme of things when just starting out. If you have a decent pair of headphones you'll be able to listen to low end on those.

Why not see how you get on with the 5s for a while before thinking about spending more money?

So all in all a good set of speakers won at the price I paid, then in your opinion?

Also I take it listening to music and film audio is a pleasant experience on monitors ?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    The price you paid seems about right.

In that price range it really comes down to personal preference, if you like the sound of them then stick with them for a while and make music/film.  If you get more serious about it later then you could consider spending more on acoustic treatment and different speakers, but for just getting started with recording they'll be fine.