SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

**SOLD** FS Laney LC30 customised with London Power Scaling and more £200

What's Hot
morganomorgano Frets: 0
edited January 2017 in Amps £

Hi Everyone,

Not sure the best way to describe this - I'm looking to move on my UK-made Laney LC30 30W EL84  combo that I spent quite a bit of time tweaking and customising a few years ago. I was particularly interested in London Power power scaling circuitry at the time, and fitted this to the amp along with a couple of other London Power kits.

I haven't used the amp for some time now (I play bass more these days), and I just don't have the time to spend on it anymore. It would make an interesting project amp for someone who has the necessary skills and time, or perhaps someone who is looking to put power scaling into another amp and would like to harvest the parts/ideas from this one.

I have all of the London Power installation notes, including the schematics that go with them.

London Power kits installed (over $200 worth):
SF-2 Power Scaling
SUS-2 Sustain Enhancing kit
SEM Single-Ended mod

I also fitted a home-built compressor and noise gate. The amp has two channels, plus I added a 'solo boost' to each channel (controlled by the 'ring' of the channel switching jack). The 'solo' mode had separate Power scaling settings from the normal mode, effectively giving four channels.

The amp has a long reverb tray, which I think is an Accutronics.

Other features:
 * LED indicators for High Voltage On (B+),  Heaters, and Mains on
 * Innovative Capacitor Multiplier HV (B+) smoothing circuit for very low hum
 * Clean FX insert (special pre V1 insert loop on the clean channel to allow a compressor pedal to be inserted in the clean channel but bypassed automatically when on the dirty channel)

* Noctua cooling fan

* Rotary power switch for Off/Standby/Run

Front Panel key:
Clean/Dirty channels
  B = Bass
  M = Middle
  T = Treble
  G = Gain
  V = Volume
  P = Power (power scaling)
  SV = Solo volume
  SP = Solo power
  R = Reverb
  BC = Bass cut (dirty channel only)

Master section
  SAG = London Power SUS-2 control
  SE = London Power Single-Ended mod control
  MT= Master Tone

I have the log book that I kept when working on this amp, and will pass that on to the buyer.

Of course, it goes without saying that anyone who works on valve amps like this one should be experienced at working with high voltages.

The amp is in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. The buyer would be welcome to collect, or I can ship it at cost (probably around £15). Not sure what to ask for this price-wise - the London Power kits alone cost $200 at the time, so £200 seems fair.

Feel free to fire away with any questions....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12387
    Looks an interesting project. I think you'd get a much better chance of a sale if you reinstalled a speaker and valves to prove it was working. Not being funny, but you're also a new member with no track record of posts or sales, so people are naturally going to be a bit wary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • morganomorgano Frets: 0
    @boogieman - yes, you're probably right - I've got a busy couple of weeks ahead, but after that I will re-install the speaker & valves. I thought I would see if anyone was interested first with it 'as is'.
  • Finally got around to re-installing the valves and speaker (only took 16 months!). The amp works fine - no problems. The built in compressor needs a tweak as I think the vactrol used in the circuitry (it's an opto-compressor) are being affected by the temperature change inside the amp as it warms up.
    It's a 'project' amp so the buyer could remove the compressor board or tweak it to fix.
    I will update the original post with some new photos showing the valves and speaker installed.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    You'll also need to put a price. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• Price was in the original text below the photos (£200) but I've also added it to the title.

I have also edited the original post and added new photos showing the speaker and valves re-installed.