Shuffle play wins

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
On my way home from work the other I had my music collection on shuffle and it played 3 songs which I never would have connected but at the time just worked together. I thought it would be good to have a thread which celebrated these little successes in life and maybe provided some inspiration of playlists to make.

So for me it was:
1) Zero 7 - not sure which song as I don't know their names, but they're all so similar it probably doesn't matter ;-)
2) Reef - Consideration. Love that song. Starts off chilled out (like zero7 finished) with a great guitar part and vocal melody then builds and builds.
3) Paul Simon - Graceland. It just followed on so well once Consideration had built up to a bit of energy

(it may just have been a 'worked in the moment' type thing now I look at them again!)
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Consideration is an excellent song, never got Reef at all but it's just a really good song.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    Shuffle is fantastic, I listen to my entire iTunes library like that at least half the time - even with such a completely diverse, eclectic random :) music collection as mine. You never know what interesting follow-ons it's going to produce.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    I'm particularly into shuffle play for my commute at the moment. There are downsides though (as I can't fiddle with the player whilst travelling) such as
    - albums where the first track is more of an intro, I.e. The orchestra tuning up at the beginning of Embrace's Good Will Out album. You get so used to it running into the second song that it doesnt work when you get it out of context
    - the 90s/00s fascination with secret tracks. You can end up with up to 10min of silence! Even worse when its done as a long gap at the end of the penultimate track as on shuffle you don't even get to hear the secret track you've waited so patiently for.
    - when you forget that iTunes has auto synced your purchases so you accidentally get tracks like something from the Frozen soundtrack that you bought for your 4year old daughter!
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    BigMonka said:
    - the 90s/00s fascination with secret tracks. You can end up with up to 10min of silence! Even worse when its done as a long gap at the end of the penultimate track as on shuffle you don't even get to hear the secret track you've waited so patiently for.
    I hate that so much I have laboriously used MP3Trimmer to split the tracks up into the correct separate songs and relabel them. It becomes quite a chore - for a while it seemed like almost everyone considered it essential to have one of the damn things on their album. It was quite amusing for a few times but after that it just got really predictable and tedious.

BigMonka said:
    - when you forget that iTunes has auto synced your purchases so you accidentally get tracks like something from the Frozen soundtrack that you bought for your 4year old daughter!
    'Skip When Shuffling' is your friend :).

That said I actually like a lot of my kids' music, genuinely and in a non-ironic way. I don't look down on pop music if it's well written and recorded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Today, in this order...

- Inhaler by Foals
    - Weigh Me Down by Crobot
    - No One Knows by Q.O.T.S.A
    - Replica by The Ga*Ga*S

Good order that turned out to be :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    'Skip When Shuffling' is your friend :).

I didn't know that existed! Next time I sync my phone with itunes I'll have to go through and sort that out :-)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited June 2015
    ICBM said:
    I hate that so much I have laboriously used MP3Trimmer to split the tracks up into the correct separate songs and relabel them. It becomes quite a chore - for a while it seemed like almost everyone considered it essential to have one of the damn things on their album. It was quite amusing for a few times but after that it just got really predictable and tedious.
    Even more annoying for me are the hidden tracks before the beginning of track one in the timecode minus numbers - most playback systems can't even play them so you'd never know they were there. 

My favourite ever transition was this:

Into this;

:-O
    Today, in this order...

- Inhaler by Foals
    - Replica by The Ga*Ga*S

A run of 4 songs which fit together?! With luck like that you need to get yourself a lottery ticket ;-)
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400

BigMonka said:
    Today, in this order...

- Inhaler by Foals
    - Replica by The Ga*Ga*S

A run of 4 songs which fit together?! With luck like that you need to get yourself a lottery ticket ;-)
    I feel like this is a subjective game :P What I think fit well together might just have been because of my 'mood' haha. ;)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    Works most of the time however I have stuff on my ipod other than music so my shuffle might play for example:

Wolfmother 'Colossal' then 'Learn German Part 2 - Introducing Yourself'. I have to be swift with the skip button.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    cruxiform said:
    Works most of the time however I have stuff on my ipod other than music so my shuffle might play for example:

Wolfmother 'Colossal' then 'Learn German Part 2 - Introducing Yourself'. I have to be swift with the skip button.
    haha, that's an interesting change between those tracks!
    See ICBM's post above about "skip when shuffling" - within itunes you can select tracks which you don't want it to pick when shuffling your music.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    Righty-o :D
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Blood & Sun - Hewn
    Buffalo (UK) - Don't Back Down (1998)
    Mystifier - The Dark Kingdom

First track is the album intro but the rest album is a similar feel - dark Neo Folk
    The second is another classic NWOBHM band that did a couple of singles getting back on the horse in the late 90s. Although not a band that benefited from Metallica's attention.
    The third track is classic Brazilian black metal madness.
    I was so close to a cracker this morning but it got ruined by a low key song in the middle. 
    A lovely sunny cycle to work down the country lanes with what would have been these three (ignoring the song) intruder song
    1. No Doubt - something from Tragic Kingdom, I don't know track names, but lots of energy and summer feeling
    2. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Around the World. You've got to love the intro, a brilliant start to the californication album
    3. Feeder - Buck Rogers