Can't afford a keyboard player in the band but need some keys - I have the answer

Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
edited June 2015 in Live

Buy a Roland SPD-S, record  the chords you need into a patch then trigger with your feet :) 

Here's a quick demo of me having a go : 

I'm doing 2 gigs using this method as our normal Keys \ other guitar player is on hols for a bit.  Wish me luck :)
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10723
    It's very good. Geddy used to play with something similar.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Two gigs tap dancing like that and people might mistake you for Fred Astaire :). I admire your skills both in your hands and feet. Have two great gigs my friend....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    Very cool. Fancy foot work! 

I like the idea of a sample trigger thing. Band-wise it's sort of a "solution waiting for a problem" for us at the moment but I'd like one all the same.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Hahaha I'd be bound to mess up with all that going on!! Nice playing!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27230
    Nice playing :)

Sounded good but I wouldn't fancy doing that live while playing the solos and STANDING UP in a packed pub though!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Would it not be easier to employ (for scraps, obviously) a musically competent tramp/hobo?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    In a kebab shop just finished ... Played where the streets have no name, everybody hurts, purple rain, superstition and long train running keys parts with my foot ... Worked a treat
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    edited June 2015
    Blimey - it's not cheap though.  I'm sure I could buy a keyboard player for half that.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I had to do the keyboard with feet thing in an old band, as our keyboard player left.  He only ever used to play basic pads and drones anyway, so I spent a couple of hours dissecting a cheap MIDI controller keyboard I got from Gumtree for a tenner, soldering some wires to some of the keyboard contacts and running them out to a little array of microswitches I pulled out of a couple of old game controllers.  

Looked bloody awful, but did the trick surprisingly well. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2015
    when i saw dredg the bass player was playing an akai sampler with his toes and the drummer was drumming with one hand playing keyboard.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    Fuzzdog said:
    I had to do the keyboard with feet thing in an old band, as our keyboard player left.  He only ever used to play basic pads and drones anyway, so I spent a couple of hours dissecting a cheap MIDI controller keyboard I got from Gumtree for a tenner, soldering some wires to some of the keyboard contacts and running them out to a little array of microswitches I pulled out of a couple of old game controllers.  

Looked bloody awful, but did the trick surprisingly well. :))
    Lol full marks for ingenuity :)

For songs like purple rain and Streets it's a piece of cake as you the changes are a couple of bars apart so there's plenty of time.   Superstition was a bit harder, playing the horn part in the chorus while playing the chords on the guitar as well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk