Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    edited May 2016
    hugbot;1087549" said:
    johnonguitar said:

I tried the plexi preamp and thought it sucked, very different to what I'd been hearing going start to DAW. I realise now that most of the gain comes from the power amp the way I run plexi modellers so will try again tomorrow with the full amp model instead of just the preamp

Hows that sounding?
    Sounds pretty good. I'm running the Bright Plexi with bass full, mid a smudged off full and treble about 3. The drive is pretty low, between 3 and 4 and be master is about 8. The sag is about 8 and I've turned both bias thingies to 7.5ish

That's pretty much my happy happy sound :)

Don't get me wrong I might find a better way of getting that sound on a different amp model at some point but that's kinda my reference crunch sound.

Ps. I use to for a big fat hendrixy neck pickup sound... But you may find it a little weedy going to the bridge for AC/DC-ish chunky chords but I usually have a clean/transparent boost just to thicken it up for that and add some hair.

A compressor and some chorus will bring the base tone back to some nice clean tones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fretmeister;1087563" said:
    hugbot said:

johnonguitar said:

I tried the plexi preamp and thought it sucked, very different to what I'd been hearing going start to DAW. I realise now that most of the gain comes from the power amp the way I run plexi modellers so will try again tomorrow with the full amp model instead of just the preamp

Hows that sounding?

Try that

Then tweak to taste.
    Cool, we seem to be on the same page!
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I'm spending a lot of time on the soldano amp models at the mo. Not my usual type of sound, so I didn't check them out for ages, but between the crunch and the lead they cover an awful lot of ground. I use the 'crunch' for my cleans (guitar back off a tad) and dirty rhythms sound and the lead for riffs/leads. Immense.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I use the Soldano clean for most of my stuff
    They really have got a grip of that amp for modelling
    I had a quick blast of the soldano through my amp today. Well through the effects return.

The clean is the best on the helix without tweaking. The crunch is pretty handy too.
    johnonguitar;1087992" said:
    I had a quick blast of the soldano through my amp today. Well through the effects return.

The clean is the best on the helix without tweaking. The crunch is pretty handy too.
    Funnily enough I did exactly the same today! The soldano lead is also handy but doesn't need much gain at all. I think I have the gain as low as 2 and it's still a pretty saturated lead sound.
    Cabicular;1087946" said:
    I use the Soldano clean for most of my stuff
    They really have got a grip of that amp for modelling
    Unsurprising that it seems to use a lot of DSP compared to some of the other amp models (at least in my "how much stuff can I cram onto the same path as it" tests).
    Just tidied mine up a bit
    Moved the chorus to after the amp to get it in stereo
    Off to play the Edinburgh Harley Davidson annual bash :)
    Cabicular;1088544" said:
    Just tidied mine up a bit
    Moved the chorus to after the amp to get it in stereo
    Off to play the Edinburgh Harley Davidson annual bash :)
    Bikers love stereo chorus!

I'm off to play a wedding about an hour past Aberdeen. Kill me.

Plus I'm going to have to take the Helix in its box because I haven't came up with a board solution yet!

Have a good one mate
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    johnny9fingers;1086773" said:
    johnonguitar said:

Btw, for those of you gigging your Helix, are you comfortable just sitting it on a stage floor? I thought I'd be ok with it but now that it's here it's really making me feel uneasy about it. I'm starting to feel that a board to get it off the deck and give it a little bumper area so that the jacks can't accidentally be kicked on the way past etc would be better.

Flight case it. I got one from Swan Cases (in the UK - cos I is a Londoner, innit) which you just put on the floor, take the lid off, and it sits flat on a protected pad with a small ridged edge.
    @johnny9fingers is it the swan line 6 helix pedal flight case y you ordered? How much rooms left over? They say there's 50mm but on paper it seems more, could you fit a pedal or a line 6 expression on the side?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I really like the TS in it - far more than the actual pedals I've owned!
    Um... why is that??
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    Drew_fx;1088733" said:
    fretmeister said:

Um... why is that??
    No idea. I just like it better.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

looked online today at PMT music's stock (Manchester) and Helix was showing in stock ie the floor model which I wanted...so I thought rather than send off to a box shifter and buy without trying I'd nip down to Manchester as its only half an hour away and try one then hopefully come away with one under my arm....only when I got there all they had in stock was the rack mount model. Bugger. Ah well time wasn't wasted! Well, I had a good 30 mins or more (ya know y'lose track :)) ) and I did like it. It was set up through some monitors and I didn't tweak any of the patches apart from gain and volume to taste....still could tell it was a digital modeller. I still reckon i'll end up ordering one but gonna have another bash with my GT-100 over my Alesis monitors to see how that excites me compared to my now little experience of the Helix.

Methinks Andertons or GAK might be getting my order mid week so I can be in Thursday to receive it when it comes.

Today was great but one thing to be wary of
    It's impossible to see in sunlight
    No idea which buttons were active or not

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx;1088733" said:
    fretmeister said:

Um... why is that??
    No idea. I just like it better.
    I'm just curious why though.
    Cabicular;1088974" said:
    Today was great but one thing to be wary of
    It's impossible to see in sunlight
    No idea which buttons were active or not

awww really? WTF Line 6?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair the guitarist in the other band couldn't read his tuner either (very bright day) I had the 2 1x12 set up in stereo through my fryette power stations Last minute I decided to put an auto planner in and assign the speed to the 2nd expression pedal which also controls the delay ...... High speed stereo tremolo panning with ping pong delay ... Right in the solo for black night... It was a lot of fun
    Cabicular;1089378" said:
    To be fair the guitarist in the other band couldn't read his tuner either (very bright day)

I had the 2 1x12 set up in stereo through my fryette power stations

Last minute I decided to put an auto planner in and assign the speed to the 2nd expression pedal which also controls the delay ...... High speed stereo tremolo panning with ping pong delay ... Right in the solo for black night... It was a lot of fun
    It's 4.15am and I'm just outside Perth in the van.... But for my first outing with the Helix I will say it's a thumbs up from me.

I had the klon, Timmy and OCD set up into my clean channel. The RMC wah and deluxe comp always on before them.

In the loop I had a script phaser, chorus, tape delay set to 350ms with about 3 repeats and low mix and Elephant delay set to dotted 8ths. Plate reverb and a high and low cut before going back to the amp (I put this in on the fly having never looked at it before, helix is so simple)

Was just a wedding and it wasn't necessarily "my" sound.... But it did sound really good.

• johnonguitar;1088670" said:
    [quote="johnny9fingers;1086773"]johnonguitar said:

Btw, for those of you gigging your Helix, are you comfortable just sitting it on a stage floor? I thought I'd be ok with it but now that it's here it's really making me feel uneasy about it. I'm starting to feel that a board to get it off the deck and give it a little bumper area so that the jacks can't accidentally be kicked on the way past etc would be better.

Flight case it. I got one from Swan Cases (in the UK - cos I is a Londoner, innit) which you just put on the floor, take the lid off, and it sits flat on a protected pad with a small ridged edge.
    @johnny9fingers is it the swan line 6 helix pedal flight case y you ordered? How much rooms left over? They say there's 50mm but on paper it seems more, could you fit a pedal or a line 6 expression on the side?
    [/quote]

There's no room for an expression pedal really. Though it isn't that snug a fit.
  • I'm selling a Line 6 Helix - brand new and unopened for £1,000 here: