Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited August 2016
    @Drew_fx I went with the Timeline/Big Sky combo in the end and kept my H9.

It's blinding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Drew_fx said:
    The people having problems haven't followed the instructions properly - you have to reset the unit to factory status and then re-import your presets. Then you'll have no problems.

I'm playing with a Helix right now, and have been all week. I am really impressed, but at the moment I don't think I can quite justify having an all-Strymon board, three valve amps, and a Helix also!
    You got a helix...? Very interested to hear how you think it stacks up..
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx said:
    The people having problems haven't followed the instructions properly - you have to reset the unit to factory status and then re-import your presets. Then you'll have no problems.

I'm playing with a Helix right now, and have been all week. I am really impressed, but at the moment I don't think I can quite justify having an all-Strymon board, three valve amps, and a Helix also!
    You got a helix...? Very interested to hear how you think it stacks up..
    No. I borrowed one. I have to give it back tomorrow.

Try these clips on for size:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/Bounces.zip

Everything going into the same impulse. Two are real amps, the rest are Helix.

@Drew_fx I went with the Timeline/Big Sky combo in the end and kept my H9.

It's blinding. Getting a Helix or FX8 is just not on my radar. For now. Credit cards and such.
    Don't get me wrong, I want one. I want one quite badly. But I can't justify it right now. I could flog some stuff I suppose, but I have a stupidly good setup at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28296
    Drew_fx said:

I bet you could get some amazing sounds with all of that together though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Drew_fx said:

I bet you could get some amazing sounds with all of that together though.
    Right now I think I'm better off just buying another amp. I've got the Laney for my Marshall 800-ish flavours, I've got the Sig X for my American high-gain... another flavour of high-gain and I'm good for a bit. Fancy grabbing another 5150-50watt head.

The Strymon Mobius, Timeline, and Big Sky have all but killed my pedal-lust. There is a small space in my brain where I can hear the echo of "get a new guuuuiitttarrrr" but I'm trying hard not to pay too much attention to it.
    And if you listen to those clips... well... I can't bloody pick the real amps when listening to the playlist on shuffle mode!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    yup, no idea. There's a few I don't like for some reason, 4, 5, 6 and 10 but I have no idea what is real and what is not.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Just looked up the Helix prices...its gone up twice in the last few weeks. Now £1224. Shocking...looks like my wait is gonna be a while - probs end up buying a used one at some point for a lot less than that price.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24288
    That's exchange rates for you.

Still a bargain compared to Fractal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    And aren't both Fractal and Line 6 manufactured in China to boot ?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Even if that was how it worked ... (i.e. We bought directly from the Chinese) have you seen how the pound is doing against the Yuan?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The Yuan is linked to the US Dollar so it doesn't really make any difference where it's made as far as prices go :(  Got mine last week for £1147, please I did now :)
  • PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    siraxeman said:
    Just looked up the Helix prices...its gone up twice in the last few weeks. Now £1224. Shocking...looks like my wait is gonna be a while - probs end up buying a used one at some point for a lot less than that price.
    £1084 from GuitarGuitar on Monday. Just ask nicely for a price match with Dawson's. Inc next day delivery.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Pwalo said:
    siraxeman said:
    £1084 from GuitarGuitar on Monday. Just ask nicely for a price match with Dawson's. Inc next day delivery.
    I paid the same at GAK, if you ring them up they are quick to offer discounts
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Still struggling to get a good sound out of my Helix running through power amp and guitar cab, any tips would be welcome.  The Cab emulated out sounds great in to the PA, but I've tried preamp only, full amp and eq block, and cab emulation into the power amp and guitar cab and it's not quite there.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24288

One of the guys on Facebook page asked Matrix Amps how to EQ to be more like a valve amp. The top one is the curve given and the bottom is it applied to global EQ.

Not my pics, but might be useful.
    John_A said:
    Still struggling to get a good sound out of my Helix running through power amp and guitar cab, any tips would be welcome.  The Cab emulated out sounds great in to the PA, but I've tried preamp only, full amp and eq block, and cab emulation into the power amp and guitar cab and it's not quite there.

What do you think is wrong with it? Where does it struggle
    Ill put money on it being top end :)
    Thanks both I'll have to tinker a bit more with EQ. The best I can get so fr is using a preamp only model straight in t my power amp and using 2 totally discrete paths, one for FOH and one for my stage sound (pub floor sound) seems like a total waste of DSP and a total faff. 
    Don't forget you can split the output of path 2a and 2b (it's not immediately obvious) My patches are super serial (I.e. Link path 1 and 1a to 2) Then path 2 is split at the out put I should go and take a picture It would be easier