Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @Teetonetal thanks I'll give it a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Teetonetal is this what you mean? (sorry I know you're not tech support :) )

As it stands I have the output blocks on the Helix so it's: guitar > USB 1/2 Mic > USB 3/4

Then in Logic I have software monitoring turned off.
    The track for the Guitar set to input 1/2 & output 5/6
    The track for the mic set to input 3/4 
    & output 7/8

I have audio going in OK, but I can't hear anything through the headphones.

If I set both outputs to stereo out then I can hear everything except that I can hear both the input and the monitoring with a slight delay. (the 'chorus' effect you mentioned)

Sorry for the long question but I'm driven mad trying to get my head around this.

Cheers

Mark
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    @markblack yes, that is the option I was thinking of.

So I wonder if there is something up with your routing? Why are you using outputs 5/6 and 7/8?

For my routing, I have USB 1 & 2 on channel 1, USB 3&4 on channel 2
    Both outputs set to Stereo

I also have the little yellow I icon on each track off (that is the input monitoring icon in your screen shot I see them on on track 3 & 4).

Final question where are you phones plugged in?

@Teetonetal I was using 5/6 and 7/8 when I took the screen grab - I have tried it set to stereo - if software monitoring is off then I can't hear anything.

My headphones are plugged into the Helix phones socket.

By the way I was just using those two tracks in logic (3 and 4) simply because I have something recored on tracks 1 and 2.

If there's anything else I can screen shot or let you know the way it's set up just as... I'm going slightly mad checking and un checking boxes :)

Cheers

Mark
    @markblack hmm will have a proper look tonight but a couple of things spring to mind.

When can't you hear anything? On recording on playback on practice or on combinations of those. For example I can always hear my guitar and vocals through helix regardless of how logic is set. But if I setup logic wrong I can't hear the playback tracks whilst I play for example. Otmr I get my input twice.

Are you multi track recording the guitar and mic or are you doing one at a time? Helix sends over USB 1&2 unless you set up helix differently.

If you use USB 3&4 input in logic you have to setup the output of your helix path to match so that the audio goes that way. Otherwise you won't record anything as logic is looking for 3&4 but you are sending it 1&2.

If you are listening through helix phones output. Make sure helix is routing everything to phones. I'm not sure what helix is default setup to do as I use the main outs into a headphone amp. 

Unless you are reamping I think you need your logic outputs as stereo or 1&2 for all tracks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Teetonetal thanks for that. Really helped. I'm up and running. Final part was I have one USB lead that always gave me latency issues. Guess which one I was using :) changing that as well seems to have sorted the 'chrous' thing. 

Thanks again. Mark
    Ah! there's always something else with computers :)
  • Cabicular said:

Is that a label maker next to the Matchless?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • FarleyUK said:
    So, my Helix has finally gone back for repair..... and I've been advised there's a 4 to 6 week turnaround.

Well, f*ck.

I've got 2 gigs in 3 weeks......!
    This is the issue for me having all my eggs in one basket.
    Currently if my amp fails, I have my 11r and power amp, pedalboard dies, got 11r and midi switcher board, cab dies, got internal 1x12 speaker in combo. 
    There is literally no scenario where I can't gig or practice if one item died. 
    To afford the Helix I'd be left with 1 cab, 1 power amp and the Helix. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:

Is that a label maker next to the Matchless?
    Lol yes
    most vital bit of studio equipment I have
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'm brand new looking at the Helix.

Can someone tell me whether the whole IR thing is relevant to me if i only want to use it live?
    I was going to use 4cm into a reissue JCM800 and that was going to be that.
    Does anyone do this and run an amp model into the front end of a normal amp using 4cm or should that all go into the power amp via the loop return?

Does the IR thing apply when you go from the Helix into the PA?
    I won't be using this for any direct recording but i will be for recording live sessions. In that instance would it be better to record direct or mic the actual cab?

Sorry i'm brand new at multi fx and it shows, i know but i'm trying to learn as i go.

Any help is much appreciated.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Alnico said:

Can someone tell me whether the whole IR thing is relevant to me if i only want to use it live?
    Does anyone do this and run an amp model into the front end of a normal amp using 4cm or should that all go into the power amp via the loop return?

I won't be using this for any direct recording but i will be for recording live sessions. In that instance would it be better to record direct or mic the actual cab?

Sorry i'm brand new at multi fx and it shows, i know but i'm trying to learn as i go.

@Drew_TNBD ; runs like that except via a 5150 III 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Alnico said:

I think the golden rule with the Helix is that "There are no rules" - but for the 'purest'sound, it seems to be:

- If using 4CM (as I am), you will probably find using cab sims and IRs to be a waste of time due to the colouration of them by your own cab etc.

- If using an external speaker source (i.e. FRF, FoH etc.) then you need the cab models or IR loaded on the Helix signal chain
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ^ That makes some sense, cheers.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    A bit of Helix advice please

i have my expression pedal EX 1 controlling my delay mix level, and on one of my snapshots I want to use a Wah on EX2. My issue is that when I'm engaging the Wah by pushing down on the expression pedal my delay mix goes to max.  Is there any way to just use the EX1 on 3 snapshots and have my delay level preset on snapshot 4 without using another delay block?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't think you can do that just now John. Happy to be shown if wrong!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    I concur.

If you've got room for another delay block, do that instead.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Cheers, I'll pop another block in.  I now have one patch that does 90% of our set, switching between a twin for super lean and using the Engl model for everything else. Best guitar sound I've ever had :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    If you do work it out I'd love to know how...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I can't figure it out, I'll ask over at the line 6 forum, but I'm sure you are right