First Album I ever bought

What's Hot
Today I relistened to the first album I ever bought with my own money.

In 1994 fresh faced 12year old Stimpsonslostson scampered into his local Woolworths (remember them) handed over his accumulated paper round earnings and emerged with a cassette (remember them). It was the first album I ever bought with my own hard earned cash.

It was…

Dookie by Green Day. And thus began a 20year addiction to punk music. 
Thankfully, it's STILL a good listen. 

What was your first album purchase? Has it stood the test of time? 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Youngster!

My first was ELO Out of the blue. Still a brilliant album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Jazz by Queen.

I know longer own a copy so I don't know if it has stood up or not. Hmm, might see if there's a cheap copy on Amazon I can add to my ever growing 'just a couple of quid whilst I'm ordering something else we actually need' list. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11320
    Santana Abraxas.

My brother had it on tape, which explains how I got it so right first time round.

Still brilliant.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    In my day you had 3 choices of format!

First Vinyl LP bought with own money: Dire Straights Brothers In Arms
    First CD: Billy Idol Greatest Hits
    First Tape: Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction

I bought Billy Idol and GnR at the same time with some birthday money(12 or 13)and i didnt have enough money to get them both on cd. Chose Billy because Hot In The City was in the charts and was ace!

Im happy with those 3. I could happily listen to them all still today.

First Single? Joe Dolce Shaddapa Ya Face.
    Not so good.      
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    EricTheWeary;667044" said:
    Jazz by Queen.

I know longer own ra copy so I don't know if it has stood up or not. Hmm, might see if there's a cheap copy on Amazon I can add to my ever growing 'just a couple of quid whilst I'm ordering something else we actually need' list. 
    My copy developed a jump part way through Fat Bottomed Girls. Now, I haven't owned that copy for years and probably didn't play it for years before that. However, FBGs came on the radio the other day and I was quite shocked that it didn't jump where I expected it to.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    edited June 2015
    The first proper full-price album I ever bought was:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    EricTheWeary;667044" said:
    Jazz by Queen.

I know longer own ra copy so I don't know if it has stood up or not. Hmm, might see if there's a cheap copy on Amazon I can add to my ever growing 'just a couple of quid whilst I'm ordering something else we actually need' list. 
    My copy developed a jump part way through Fat Bottomed Girls. Now, I haven't owned that copy for years and probably didn't play it for years before that. However, FBGs came on the radio the other day and I was quite shocked that it didn't jump where I expected it to.
    It used to really piss me off during the early CD years that record companies were consciously making really low quality flimsy vinyl that jumped all over the place just to make people buy CDs(which dont forget were almost twice the price). I remember weighing my dad's old vinyl against new stuff and just thinking what a proper rip off it was that 20 year old albums sounded better and had less scratches and jumps than new stuff straight out of the sleeve. i reckon i was taking back 1/3 vinyl albums to the shop in the late 80s 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    REM - Out of Time on CD, bought from Little Chef on the A14.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    @stimpsonslostson That's a great album, I first heard it when I was about 14 and still like it - although the lyrics are a bit crass in places!

The first album I bought was this when I was 10 - you may have guessed that I was not the coolest kid at school in 1995!

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12394
    I was given The Undertones Wednesday week 7 inch by my punk cousin in 1980 for my birthday, but the first tape i bought with my own money was Black Sabbath greatest hits from a long since gone record shop in Irlam, would have been around 1981 when I was 9

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    I was given The Undertones Wednesday week 7 inch by my punk cousin in 1980 for my birthday, but the first tape i bought with my own money was Black Sabbath greatest hits from a long since gone record shop in Irlam, would have been around 1981 when I was 9

Oh man i had that Black Sabbath one on tape! Love that it had Laguna Sunrise and Changes on there. I love it when Sabbath get mellow
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    My first album purchase was when little 13 year old metalhead me wandered down to the local record shop (remember those?) in 1989 and purchased a copy of Live After Death by Iron Maiden on wonderful tape, and promptly annoyed the hell out of my mum for the next few weeks. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Age 11, 1986, my mind was blown by -

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7812
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister