Nigel Kennedy - Plays Hendrix

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1284
    edited June 2015
    Sorry but no, they were pants. Even my mum liked them!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72864
    Rowby1 said:
    I thought so for years too, but I found the two albums in a charity shop a few months ago, and in a spirit of perverse nostalgia/masochism, bought them. I was really surprised by how not-awful they are, the first one especially. A bit twee in places for sure, if you're coming to it from a pure rock point of view, but definitely much better than most other attempts at this sort of thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2015
    ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:
    I thought so for years too, but I found the two albums in a charity shop a few months ago, and in a spirit of perverse nostalgia/masochism, bought them. I was really surprised by how not-awful they are, the first one especially. A bit twee in places for sure, if you're coming to it from a pure rock point of view, but definitely much better than most other attempts at this sort of thing.
    Okay, I shall check them out again. My recollection is of my mum and dad raving about "proper musicians" and then listening to a guitar tone that sounded like a tuned vacuum cleaner.....in Kennedys favour is that my parents would probably have hated it :)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2015
    Rowby1;667796" said:
    Classical musicians playing rock.....Sky.....need we say more.
    I agree. Rupert Murdoch will commission anything in order to appear highbrow. ;)
    mudslide73;667797" said:
    He's an Aston Villa fan, what do you expect?
    So is Cameron. Satan's another. Pol Pot and Hitler used to sit near each other in the Holte End. What do you expect?

Now to the music. I have watched that Purple Haze.

Bloody Nora what a tin ear this guy's got.

So it starts vaguely promisingly with a Page-esque, whispy quote of the melody, bow scraping to the fore.

Then for some unaccountable reason the drummer breaks into a snare pattern last heard on the intro to the A Team.

Kennedy's tone is vile. If he must do this stuff he ought to take the top end right down or consider using a viola.

And the guy playing the red PRS is awful with his sub-Eric Johnson arpeggio noodling.

:x

By the way, I know he's considered a decent fiddler, but what exactly has this guy done except regurgitate Vivaldi every few years? Seems he was bigged up in his youth, then spent the 80s/ early 90s bigging himself up, then went off on one.

Shame.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Rowby1 said:
    Nah, the first album is pretty good, I liked Canonball especially.
    edited June 2015

Okay, had a listen to some Sky and no,  I think it's well executed (better than I remembered) but lacks any soul. All a bit "plonky" for want of a better expression. Think Kennedys stuff is at least a bit more risky/edgy/creative.....but still don't lke it.

Classical musicians and rock music shouldn't be in the same room together I would suggest.

To be fair to Sky, I made it through three tracks before I hit "Stop" :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72864
    Rowby1 said:

Classical musicians and rock music shouldn't be in the same room together I would suggest.

One word that says they should…

Apocalyptica

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1007

Nigel Kennedy - Plays Rapes Hendrix

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Jeez.

ICBM said:
    Rowby1 said:

One word that says they should…

Apocalyptica

:)
    They're Finnish, so it doesn't count :)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Rowby1 said:

Classical musicians playing rock.....Sky.....need we say more.

Nothing wrong with Sky, if you like that sort of thing
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself