Pat Metheny

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
I'm not a big fan of jazz. Recorded stuff... I rarely listen to but it can be ok. Live jazz I think can be very cool, nice atmosphere, real talent improvising live - love it..
Now Pat Metheny - I must get more of his CDs but I have a few and man, I love everything the does - I find it very musical and satisfying to listen to. Anybody else? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I bought a few of his albums back in the 80's / 90's and really liked a lot of what he did. Fantastic player. Not listened to any of his recent stuff though. It can be hard to keep up with everything :-(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Agreed - so much out there in general!!
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279

Yes, same here, jazz with enough hooks to keep me interested.

Seen him a couple of time too. Well worth it if you get the chance.

Haven't had the pleasure!
    Yep - the hooks... I get you. Anything similar? 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    His early stuff was what caught my attention, debut album, Bright Size Life with Jaco Pastorius on bass is quite stunning.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm not a big fan of jazz
    Jazz covers an absolutely massive spectrum of music, I'm sure there's something for most people hidden away in a sub-genre somewhere. I have a lot of Pat Metheny stuff, I find it great music to work to at my computer, it's uplifting and pleasant (for the most part!) and nothing to aggressive or in your face.

On the downside, sometimes I wonder if I'm listening to the worlds most accomplished lift music.
    LOl!! :D
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    I can definitely recommend American Garage by him and his band, an early but outstanding album.

Also 'The Way Up' and 'Still Life (Talking) are cracking albums too.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I love PM.  He has so many great albums...and some absolute shite (Zero Tolerance for Silence).

this is one of my favourite live medleys from him:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited June 2015
    Another fan here although I listened more to his stuff from the 80s and 90s and saw him live a good few times too. Amazing concerts with flawless playing and sound.

I thought the orchestrion project was interesting but I must confess to being out of touch with his stuff of late.

While we're talking about PM, let's not forget his partner in crime, Lyle Mays, who's just the most wonderful piano player around.
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    +1 for American Garage & Bright Size Life, great albums.  Never could get into Song X though (Ornette Coleman collaboration).

Quite hard to classify his stuff really, but it does reward repeat listening, and yes, Lyle Mays is fantastic and many other amazing musicians, including of course Jaco Pistorius.
    Offramp is my favourite and I think it's his best from the 1980s.  I know people talk about "Are You Going With Me?" but I think "Au Lait" is the best track off that album.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Are you going with me is beautiful. It's his most popular track.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Re harm and a half .....
    I do like his pop music reharms. Don't Know Why is my favourite and I love how dissonant he gets towards the end.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    His Orchestrion project was extraordinary. If you're going to gig solo with a load of midi backing, this is the way to do it ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VymAn8QJNQ

I first read about the project in this article from Sound On Sound magazine and I was so intrigued I had to search out the album when it was released (this was in the days before I had the internet for easy album buying) - what surprised me was how much it just sounded like a good Pat Metheny album rather than some robotic experiment.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I think my favourite PM. Track is It's for You from As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls. A beautiful piece of music.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'm the opposite, love Birelli Lagrene or Mike Stern, Wayne Krantz, Ronny Jordan, Stanley Jordan, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, (kinda agree with Pat Metheny about Larry Coryell) Love loads of earlier players Jimmy Guiffre, Joe Pass, Ted Greene, Lenny Brieau, Kenny Burrell, Pat Martino, Tal Farlow ... but Pat Metheny ... he doesn't speak to me... shouts at me some times but frankly he's not my bag in the slightest. 
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    "James" is my favourite although "Letter from home" is a beautiful piece.

I like the livelier works too like "Third Wind" and this was absolutely stonking live -

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    frankus said:
    I'm the opposite, love Birelli Lagrene or Mike Stern, Wayne Krantz, Ronny Jordan, Stanley Jordan, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, (kinda agree with Pat Metheny about Larry Coryell) Love loads of earlier players Jimmy Guiffre, Joe Pass, Ted Greene, Lenny Brieau, Kenny Burrell, Pat Martino, Tal Farlow ... but Pat Metheny ... he doesn't speak to me... shouts at me some times but frankly he's not my bag in the slightest. 
    This.

I've found his collaborations more to my taste.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback