I normally don't like "help me pick an amp" threads...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I think i'm edging towards the Mesa.. it's more flexible, and will be a nice change from my Marshall heads.

Also, looks like the OD-100 is one of the older versions, no feedback or depth control on the back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited October 2013
    I tried a CAA-100 once - properly, at home for a few days and at a band practice.

Hated it. Dull, boring, muddy, smooth. I could not get one single sound out of it that I found inspiring, or even interesting. But then I hate smooth sounds in general so I might not have been the best person to appreciate it.

Never played a Mark V, but I've played all the other Marks. I don't really like any of them either but I'd take any of them over the CAA. They're far more flexible, especially with the GEQ, even if they can also be a bit of a pig to dial in. I can get plenty of *bad* sounds out of them but at least they have character :).

No idea if that's helpful or not!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Si_ said:
    octatonic said:
    CAA, definitely.
    I have the 50 watter and it is the best amp I've ever owned- and I've owned some killers.

The Mark V is great and I would like to have one but they take longer to pull sounds- the CAA is quick, closer to set and forget and closer to the Marshall tone I know you love.
    It does modern tones as well- feedback and presence on the back control the amount of 'vintage/modern'.

The 5150 III 100 watt is great too.

I prefer the CAA to both of these.
    I'm not sure the OD-100 Classic can compare to your PT-50.
    It isn't as gainy but it is definitely a 'rock amp'.
    More Landau than 'Metal' at the gruntier end.
    Si_ said:
    I think i'm edging towards the Mesa.. it's more flexible, and will be a nice change from my Marshall heads.

Also, looks like the OD-100 is one of the older versions, no feedback or depth control on the back.

Still a VERY good amp.
    The London PT100 would be a better buy- if you need me to act as escrow for that then let me know.
    I'm happy to go get it for you and box it up and ship it to you.
    Appreciate the offer, but it's a bit too expensive.. I've been offered the Mark V for £1600 inc a flightcase, and the deal on the OD-100 was including trading in my Marshall head. 
    Si_ said:
    Appreciate the offer, but it's a bit too expensive.. I've been offered the Mark V for £1600 inc a flightcase, and the deal on the OD-100 was including trading in my Marshall head. 
    No worries mate- there is no guarantee it would be the amp for you but I absolutely would buy it for asking price.
    I paid £2600 for mine and I don't regret a thing.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    6505+ head. Only 2 channels, but has 'crunch' on the clean so effectively 3 channels with clean and crunch sharing EQ.  

That sounds like a good shout, similar sounds to the EVH without the artist association.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Kemper. :)

last time, promise ;)
    Somebody slap him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    Diezel Herbert ? Can be had used for under £1500 and supposedly the absolute dogs

All sorted now :)