Complete at last - Esquire Build - Aged finish haters look away

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    Not totally sure, i was wondering if the ageing solutions for thecopper and bronze paints i have been using would work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    edited June 2015
    WezV;671732" said:
    Not totally sure, i was wondering if the ageing solutions for thecopper and bronze paints i have been using would work.
    What is the product mate? I'd be happy to try it, I've had everything on the powders at my disposal, I've gone from seawater, vinegar, etchant to even piss...!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3956
    Nice man. I've started relicing my recent Tele build too. It's the future.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Nice. I'm not a huge fan of relics, but this one is done right :)

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Deadman;671894" said:
    Thread?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    lamf68 said:
    WezV;671732" said:
    What is the product mate? I'd be happy to try it, I've had everything on the powders at my disposal, I've gone from seawater, vinegar, etchant to even piss...!

its the stuff for the paint jooky recommended

https://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000034.pl?WD=patina&PN=Metal%2dEffects%2d%2d%2dAgeing%2dSolution%2dGreen%2dPatina%2d%2d%2d118ml%2d900_18_0901a%2ehtml#SID=1162

I used it on my dano, but would like a higher quality of paint

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    That Tele is amazing - I love (and want) the neck!
    jd0272 said:
    Deadman;671894" said:
    Thread?

Patience young JD. My PC is goosed and I'm stuck with a tablet at the moment. It's coming soon mate ;)
    Deadman said:
    jd0272 said:
    Deadman;671894" said:
    Thread?

Patience young JD. My PC is goosed and I'm stuck with a tablet at the moment. It's coming soon mate ;)
    Righto.

I'm hoping the old humidity is gonna 'play the game' this weekend and I can get motoring. V frustrating only having a shed.
    jd0272 said:
    Deadman said:
    jd0272 said:
    Deadman;671894" said:
    Thread?

Righto.

I'm hoping the old humidity is gonna 'play the game' this weekend and I can get motoring. V frustrating only having a shed.

Alright, alright...stop making me feel guilty ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4213
    Now that is what I call an Esquire, bloody superb!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Jesus that's a good looking guitar, absolutely awesome.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1690
    How did you achieve the checking on the neck? I'd be scared stiff using temperature changes on a neck. Is it all done with a razor?
    DannyP;673747" said:
    How did you achieve the checking on the neck? I'd be scared stiff using temperature changes on a neck. Is it all done with a razor?
    Temperature change it was mate, damped down with an iron oxide solution from Crystal to liquid form, heated up quickly then frozen then repeated. I've never had an issue with a neck go out of shape as a result of the method I use, I've tried a razor but it always looks shite to my eyes, the cuts are too uniform. If it struggles to check in the freezer I get the old freezer spray on it. Start at a point where there's a hole, whether it's at the neck plate holes or the tuners and spray out from there to get the checking to run in lines. After years of doing its still a bit risky as the cracks can go a bit mental like a spiders web but if you go nice and slow with the flow of the freezer liquid you'll always get lines depending on the flow direction of the liquid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1690
    lamf68;673985" said:

Temperature change it was mate, damped down with an iron oxide solution from Crystal to liquid form, heated up quickly then frozen then repeated. I've never had an issue with a neck go out of shape as a result of the method I use, I've tried a razor but it always looks shite to my eyes, the cuts are too uniform. If it struggles to check in the freezer I get the old freezer spray on it. Start at a point where there's a hole, whether it's at the neck plate holes or the tuners and spray out from there to get the checking to run in lines. After years of doing its still a bit risky as the cracks can go a bit mental like a spiders web but if you go nice and slow with the flow of the freezer liquid you'll always get lines depending on the flow direction of the liquid.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain, @lamf68 , that's greatly appreciated. How is it "heated up quickly" ? Heated gun?

I'm very much emboldened & encouraged by this, I reckon I might give it a go!
    DannyP;674123" said:
    [quote="lamf68;673985"]

Thanks for taking the time to explain, @lamf68 , that's greatly appreciated. How is it "heated up quickly" ? Heated gun?

I'm very much emboldened & encouraged by this, I reckon I might give it a go!
    [/quote]

I've used a heat gun, hairdryer and even a nice summers day to warm a neck up mate, depends on the timescale I'm working to. If you mix up the iron oxide first and wet the neck with that before the process when the checking happens the lines will darken instantly. I can't guarantee it'll work with you, it was the first time I'd painted on the iron oxide at the start so have no real reason to doubt it, but I've never read or seen anyone else use this method before. Just don't heat the neck to the point of melting anything.
    @lamf68 re; the acid, would I need to mask off the white plastic tuner tips on the Kluson's I'm using you reckon, or would the Hydro fumes not affect the plastic, just the nickel?

Ganna have a crack at it the morro at work.

Cheers.
    jd0272 said:
    @lamf68 re; the acid, would I need to mask off the white plastic tuner tips on the Kluson's I'm using you reckon, or would the Hydro fumes not affect the plastic, just the nickel?

Ganna have a crack at it the morro at work.

Cheers.
    honesty haven't got a clue, I would've thought plastic would be unaffected by the fumes seeing as the acid itself is in a plastic tub, but I'd not bet my gonads on it, I know nothing about chemistry. Sorry I can't be of more help mate.
    That's fine, I was just being bone idle trying to avoid masking!   :)

Cheers tho.