Looking To Buy a Gibson Les Paul - help!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Also, and whilst you may be lusting after that name on the headstock, play other quality Les Paul types.  The best guitar I've ever played (so far) is a Japanese LP.  The best SG I've ever owned was a Japanese one.

How it feels, and how it sounds - TO YOU - are the most important things.  I made the stupid mistake of selling my MIJ SG to fund a USA Gibson, and have regretted it bitterly ever since.

Other people would say that the neck was too thin, fretboard too narrow, the body - being pancake construction - wouldn't be any good.  But the whole thing was just awesome - so easy to play, with the most Black Sabbath era SG sound...

The right guitar for you doesn't have to conform to the marketing or other people's opinions.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried tons of them and the best one was the lpj and a custom. It took me a while to realise why...

... Maple necks! I didn't realise the pattern but ICBM pointed it out to me. The single best guitar I've ever played was a les paul studio raw power... All maple body and neck. On paper, should be heavy and bright but it was awesome sounding, very thick and fat. Not too heavy either.

In other words, you may want a les paul shaped thing but just because it's made of lighter mahogany and has a pretty top it doesn't mean it's right for you
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11504
    edited June 2015
    They definitely vary.  I've had two Custom Shop ones, and they were very different.

The first was maybe the lightest solid Les Paul I've ever come across, and it was very bright and toppy acoustically.  That came across in the amplified sound too.  It would cut through anything but it was a bit harsh.

The second one, which I still have, is still a reasonable weight (around 9lbs) but it sounds much more rounded unplugged, and it sounds a lot more meaty plugged in.  I tried a lot of Les Pauls in 2 shops the day I bought that one - some second hand Custom Shop and several Traditionals.  I would say that the one I bought, and one of the other Custom Shop guitars were a cut above the others.

With hindsight I've played Traditionals that were better than the first Custom Shop guitar I had.  I played one in a shop in Florida while on holiday that was brilliant.  If I could have found another one like that I wouldn't have spent the extra for a Custom Shop guitar.

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 676

Thanks for all the info guys, it's been a great read so far, and has helped me understand the basic differences between all the models. I don't think I'm fussy for getting a brand new Standard model with all the push/pull switches and auto-tuning, so a Traditional might be more the kind of guitar spec I'm looking for (although I will still not rule anything out)

I fully understand all of the points and concerns raised above with things such as not necessarily needing a Gibson LP, and I'm also up for trying out different guitars if I can get the chance. There are not many guitar stores around where I live.....1, maybe 2 (if it's still open) in the near vicinity that do not stock ANY Gibson guitars, so I need to travel a fair bit to get my hands on one to try.

Knowing me, I'll end up wanting an R model..........