Quilted Mahogany for an acoustic top?

Hi
I've just bought a great piece of quilted mahogany, although not sure yet quite what to use it on.  I also have a nice mahogany back and side set which has been itching to be used for a year or so.

I have three options:
  •  do a 'conventional' mahogany back & sides and spruce top
  • do a quilted mahogany back, 'conventional' sides and top
  • do a 'conventional' mahogany back and sides and a quilt on the top
I've never done a mahogany acoustic top before...are there any significant do's and dont's for the wood choice for the top?  Provided the grain density allows, is the thought of using a figured wood for the top bonkers?

All thoughts and experience, good or bad, gratefully received

Andy 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    Breedlove do the whole range from Parlour to Dreadnoughts in Mahogany.

I've got one of the older and smaller ones (Passport OM/MMe) and it sounds great !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Jalapeno said:
    Breedlove do the whole range from Parlour to Dreadnoughts in Mahogany.

I've got one of the older and smaller ones (Passport OM/MMe) and it sounds great !
    Yes - as a tonewood I think it works very well.  They do some nice guitars, Breedlove.  

I was thinking in terms of the actual wood characteristics...in the same way that a good spruce top should be narrow, even grain, I wondered if there were similar considerations for mahogany.  I notice that a lot of the mahogany-topped guitars are quite plain tops and wondered if this is more than a coincidence... 
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Are there potential issues with strength? I don't know, it's just a thought. It'd look stunning though!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    There can be issues with strength, quilt has a lot less than straight grained wood or even flame. Depends on the individual piece of wood
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    WezV said:
    There can be issues with strength, quilt has a lot less than straight grained wood or even flame. Depends on the individual piece of wood
    Hi, @WezV  Mmm - that's what I wondered.  Also, the ratio of stiffness along the grain and across the grain will be different to a straight-grained piece and presumably that will also affect the flex of the top and therefore the tone?

I should be picking up the wood in the next couple of days and - if the alternative is to use it as a back, I suppose I can start slimming it down and see how it fares...