Swapping a traditional 3 saddle bridge for a tune-o-magic

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
edited June 2015 in Making & Modding
I've just bought (well committed to buy) a Bigsby B5 from fellow forum member @stonevibe for my Telemaster project guitar. It wasn't until yesterday that I realised it won't work with the bridge I have installed (genius I know).

So it seems I have 2 choices:

1. File slots into the back of the current bridge so that strings pass straight through to the brass saddles.

2. Fit a Tune-O-Matic bridge.

At the moment I prefer the idea of fitting the Tune-O-Matic, but is this something that i'll fond hard to do? Would you advise against?

Plus i'd need to fill in the holes on the body from where the strings pass through and the screw holes that held the bridge in place. But it could all worth it it ends up looking anything like one of these:

Here's a pic of mine:
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Just seen @axisus post. Excellent info chaps.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited June 2015

3. Buy a new ashtray and file the slots in that.

4. Buy a Vibramate V5-TEV

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited June 2015
    I dremelled little arches out of the back of the ashtray when i fitted a B% to my tele - works perfectly.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5012
    Very neat work @Gagaryn. But I still cannot understand why fit a Bigsby on a Tele!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

@gagaryn nice work! I'll give that a go I reckon.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Rocker said:
    Very neat work @Gagaryn. But I still cannot understand why fit a Bigsby on a Tele!
    Because it's less work than a Jazzmaster trem.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    Don't you need an angled neck pocket for a TOM?
    Jeremiah said:
    Don't you need an angled neck pocket for a TOM?
    No, just a shim.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;673909" said:
    Rocker said:

Because it's less work than a Jazzmaster trem.

:)
    I've set up my jm trem very quickly and easily - saddles up high, bridge screwed low and neck shimmed a touch. It's set to float and stability is comparable to my strat - near perfect!

Bigsby trems look more involved to me... I fear them but I want one, I tried a MIJ 62 tele reissue in sunburst with binding and it had a bigsby. Was a great guitar.... 500 quid new, and now 600 used :(
    Yes, they're both great units and much more effective and tuning-stable than most people who have never set one up properly realise - which is not even that difficult once you understand why they can sometime cause trouble.

I had an original '65 Jaguar and a '69 factory Bigsby Tele, both were rock-solid for tuning. The main problem with Bigsbys is that they're usually fitted to guitars with wide headstocks and sharp nut angles, and/or floating bridges or fixed tune-o-matics, both of which cause trouble. A Bigsby Tele has neither.

What I meant was that *fitting* a Bigsby to a Tele is easier since you only have to drill, not rout ;).

• ICBM;675322" said:
    Yes, they're both great units and much more effective and tuning-stable than most people who have never set one up properly realise - which is not even that difficult once you understand why they can sometime cause trouble.

I had an original '65 Jaguar and a '69 factory Bigsby Tele, both were rock-solid for tuning. The main problem with Bigsbys is that they're usually fitted to guitars with wide headstocks and sharp nut angles, and/or floating bridges or fixed tune-o-matics, both of which cause trouble. A Bigsby Tele has neither.

What I meant was that *fitting* a Bigsby to a Tele is easier since you only have to drill, not rout ;).
    Ahh gotcha!

I wonder how hard it would be to fit one to my thinline... I don't like the vibramate look though so I'll be a dremel and a drill I fear.

Maybe another day...
    It's not hard, it just needs a bit of care to get it all lined up right.

Bigsbys on Thinlines are great, they restore some of the slight lack of 'solidity' in the sound compared to a standard Tele.

MY advice would be don't try fitting a Bigsby to a Tele at 10 in the morning with a raging hangover. No matter how sure you are you have it lined up, it won't be! ;-)

Of the two, I have to say I probably prefer the JM/Jag trem system, like ICBM I've never encountered any problem using them with the standard bridge - once it's properly set up they are rock solid, plus the ability to lock it to quickly move to drop D without messing with the other strings is handy. Only thing worth changing is the arm to the Staytrem version with a lined collet.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I'm going tune-o-matic with my tele build. I'd have been happy to butcher a bridge plate but for the fact I'm sticking a humbucker there, which over complicates everything
    I'm going to go Dremel I think. I'll swap over to a T-O-M late down the line if I don't get on with it. But I was looking at these and thinking that will more straight forward than measuring and drilling for a T-O-M. Just like @Gagaryn has done.
    Dremel is definitely way to go - I didn't even bother taking the bridge off the guitar! masking tape over the pickups though, otherwise they'll grow steel filing beards!
    @Gagaryn, that's my style. Awesome to hear some one is as lazy as me when it comes to messing with guitars.