Making a Phaser into a Univibe.

What's Hot
frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
edited June 2015 in Making & Modding

hi Chaps

so I've been reading that Univibes and Phasers are similar in many ways and that by making the capacitors on phaser non-uniform you can get a more univibe like sound - does anyone know which pedals/pcbs take this modding best?

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    The Phase 45 is the one that most seem to go for, but I suspect the mods will work on plenty of other phasers. Here's the circuit diagram:

The mod you're interested in is No.1, which changes a couple of caps. You can either just swap them or put them on a DPDT switch.
    I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the Phase 90 either. The ROG Tri Vibe uses an OTA chip and gets a pretty convincing vibe sound, so I think you could do the same mod on a DOD FX20 or EHX Small Stone (or similar) too.
    As it's a simple, non-destructive mod, as long as you can work out which caps to change, I'd swap away and see what happens!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I saw the article originally about the Small Stone - it being a 4 stage phaser but these mods are awesome many thanks ;)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9744
    Fuzzdog/Pedalparts has a phaser with these mods already as options on the pcb. Ideal!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well that's sorted that then :) I was going to get a madbean smoothie but prefer the fuzzdog delivery time.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    If anyone's reading this and doesn't want to mod or is looking for a phasery vibe pedal, we heard a Skreddy Swirl at the Southern GearFest last week that belonged to @dindude and it does just that in a really usable and fab-sounding way.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I do like Skreddy stuff :) - however this is going into an ME50 box with two fuzzdog fuzz faces, tonepad ross compressor (with schooner blend), tonepad dod micro+, madbean zero point micro 2 (with tails switch), and a homemade jen wah :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    Love it Frankus and please put some pics up when done, and some sounds too.

All the best with that.
    Will try - if I get my print layout working I should have a treat sooner than that :)
  • frankus;674687" said:
    I do like Skreddy stuff :) - however this is going into an ME50 box with two fuzzdog fuzz faces, tonepad ross compressor (with schooner blend), tonepad dod micro+, madbean zero point micro 2 (with tails switch), and a homemade jen wah :)
    Oh my god I'd go nuts on that.

My juansolo delay is an older zero point and it's one of the best sounding delay I've heard. Super cool!