School of Rock The Musical on Broadway

rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
Are they capitalising on the film's success too late? It should pull in the crowds in NYC during the Christmas holiday period.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/joe-show-rock-ages-star-alex-brightman-article-1.2256346
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3079
    My "no musicals unless it's by Pete Townshend" rule prohibits me from ever watching this. I'm a fan of the movie though so I dunno - they could have at least got Dewey/Ned's guitar right ("Yeah, it's a 1968 Gibson SG. Mint condish")
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1621
    Just got back from this in the West End. Loved every second. Kids were brilliant, way better than the ones in the movie somehow.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    My cousins daughter is in it!

She's brilliant, did Matilda, Annie and sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow (unprompted) at our wedding a cappella over the PA system - not a dry eye in the house. She was seven at the time! 

Which character?

• It's been hugely popular on Broadway, we visited NY last easter and it was booked months in advance, with the very few available short notice tickets going at elevated, not cut rate, prices.

Not sure that it's because the show's good, just that most of the remaining musical stuff is routed in the 50s and therefore deeply soporific for a 21st century audience.  We went to see two musicals and the excitement of a live show was entirely absent, though the female cast costumes were clearly to maintain male interest.

Broadway has lost its way on music and hasn't followed the cash/audience.  Most succesful shows there now are dramas with the odd comedy.  Scool of Rock is one of the few exceptions as it plays to an (almost) modern audience's tastes.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Fuengi said:

She's brilliant, did Matilda, Annie and sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow (unprompted) at our wedding a cappella over the PA system - not a dry eye in the house. She was seven at the time! 

Not part of the Haines family are you ? One of our daughters friends,Maddie, is in the band and she was Matilda too .She auditioned for the Bass player - I had to teach her "smoke on the water "for the audition 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited January 2017
    JohnPerry said:
    Just got back from this in the West End. Loved every second. Kids were brilliant, way better than the ones in the movie somehow.
    You didn't happen to get a sight of the real musicians, did you? I was on a guitar course in the September, where Dario Cortese was one of the tutors, and he was involved in the show (on guitar) prior to it opening, so I knew it was coming up. Haven't been to see it yet.
    They were just visible in an elevated box stage right. What was actually really touching was that in the big finale when the kids were genuinely rocking out (and very competently too) the musos had downed tools and were going properly nuts they were so into it.

couldn't describe any for you though

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I love musicals, I'd love to see it. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Saw it back in December and its great . Was a big fan of the Movie and this doesn't disappoint.The kids are fantastic especially the little girl on the Bass.
    Dominic said:
    Fuengi said:

Not part of the Haines family are you ? One of our daughters friends,Maddie, is in the band and she was Matilda too .She auditioned for the Bass player - I had to teach her "smoke on the water "for the audition 
    Yes! Mandy is my cousin. Maddie has been entertaining us all since she was about 5, she's great and thrives on it. 

Love that you taught her the bass! 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
     @ Fuengi -She didn't get to be the bassist .. but she is in the band ( she was great as Matilda )...but ,Saskia, my other daughter is best mates with Brooke and Amelie
    @Dominic Ha! Small world, never know who you're talking to! 

You must be a local to HW then I guess? My real name is Mark, if you mention the chat. 

They are such good fun, we live close to Portsmouth, and my wife's family are in Cambridge so do we stop in when passing on M25. 

Will try to catch Maddie in SoR before she finishes.
  • JohnPerry said:
    Which character?

I think that's Wicked you're thinking of.