Pick up wiring question

So I'm halfway through the Les Dennis reboot, and it's getting close to thinking about the pick ups, which with my decision-making speed means I need to start thinking about them now.

I have four (though in reality it's just two) options.

1) Use the pups that came with the kit. Given that the entire kit cost 120 quid, I'm guessing they won't be up to snuff, so that's a no-no really.

2) Use the Iron Gear Rolling Mills in the original Les Dennis.

3) Use the Epi pick ups that came out of the 335 Dot when I replaced them with the R57s a few years back.

4) Get some new, better quality pups to go with the new, better quality wiring harness I bought. This is highly unlikely, as the wiring harness cost almost as much as the kit, and to add another 100 or so quid, I'd have been as well getting a properly made Vintage V100 or a second hand Epi and modding that instead.

The Iron Gears aren't a problem, I can use them cos they already have the proper wiring etc and all I'll have to do is solder them to the right bits.

But if I want to use the Epi pups, they both come with just a single, rather weedy looking wire with a plastic covering.

So my question is this - how do I ground the Epi pups?

If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    there should be 2 wires coming off the Epi pickups.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Any photos of Les Dennis so far? What would your ideal pickup be?
  • @Adam_MD - here is how the Epi pups came out.

@Chalky - I've started a new thread about that.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited June 2015
    There should be a shield braid which would be the ground around the inner wire in there I would think.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The centre core and shield are inside the red cover. The centre core goes to the pot lug and the shield goes to the back of the pot.

Cut the end open a little and pull it apart you'll soon see it.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11047
    tFB Trader
    That's right, stripped there is core and ground ... red is bridge, usually blue neck with Epis.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Ok, got that, ta.