FAO : Dan 4114 Effects - Sparkle fest near completion

What's Hot
lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
edited June 2015 in Making & Modding

Dan @4114Effects got hold of me a few weeks ago asking if I could replicate a Metal Flake finished la cab that popped up on here in pic form a while back, can't find the original pic now but it's on here somewhere. He was tempted to splash the extra cash on a bound body but i told him I could create a fake binding that would look as good as real stuff. Anyway, after much masking and piss-arsing about the project is near complete from my end, one final buffing in the middle of the week after already receiving 3 and it's a good-un...Body is a sugar pine jobbie from guitarbuild, the back and sides were sprayed with a vintage tint nitro before masking off the top and going white nitro primer to create the binding after masking off the sides. After that had dried i did an Ice Blue metallic topcoat while masking enough of the white off to create the illusion of binding. Then the Flake was dumped down in 2 different sizes,200 and 400 micron before lashings and lashings of clear nitro on top. Looking lush already.You can see from the route on the back the original colour of the pine before the tinted coats. Hopefully Dan will add to this or better still create a new thread when he's finished setting it up with hardware and neck under his wonderful studio lighting!!!

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drool!!!

Would love to refinish one of my guitars like that! Well done!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Holy cow! I may send you my thinline for a sparkle job one day, that looks incredible!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    edited June 2015
    Holy cow! I may send you my thinline for a sparkle job one day, that looks incredible!
    By all means mate, Flake everywhere here...pick a colour and I'll spray it..I'm about to start a Harley Davidson Motorcycle tank which im actually shitting myself over... I've done guitars worth thousands and yet this tank was £100 new, no idea why it's stressing me, as simple as can be!!! Harley colours white - orange - black flakes.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    It looks so good I daren't play it. Might buy a glass display case to keep it in!

Can't wait to get it set up. Have some gretsch filtertrons to go in, but thinking it may deserve some proper oil city or tv jones in there. I need to do that finish justice!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    That looks amazing.

I've wanted some kind of sparkle jet tribute for a while so something like that is right up my alley.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited June 2015
    I've always wanted my tele done in silver sparkle. Do you take commissions?

That looks epic btw!
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
     Do you take commissions?

Oh yeah!...drop me a PM if you want any work done.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    Ah, was it my blue one that inspired it.

Looks good
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    That's spectacular!

Beautiful work.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    That's top notch stuff!
  • SerratusSerratus Frets: 121
    Really nice! I have a pot of large metal flake that I keep think about trying but I've not been brave enough yet!! Must do a test piece and try it out.....
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    That is astounding work!! and that fake binding looks neater than a lot of real binding jobs!
    As the French would say, incroyable!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Ah, was it my blue one that inspired it.

Looks good
    Not quite - it was this little Fender 2014 NAMM one that I fell in love with ... 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    edited June 2015

I must have inspired that fender then  ;)  but then it was obviously their cabs which gave me ideas

here is the blue sparkle cab i put together just as Cab's started appearing.  A darker blue but shares a lot of similar features with your build - light back, white binding and heavy flake top... I went for thicker binding to allow me to roll it over  a bit on the top edge,   I hate the sharpness of bound fenders.  We decided to increase the grestchyness of the design by using gretsch style knobs and Imade the guard out of clear acrylic sprayed white on the reverse

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Thanks mate. Got house stuff to get on top of at the minute, but I'll be keeping that in mind… and if anyone else asks I'll point them in your direction