Tele routed out to 72 Custom????????

lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
edited June 2015 in Making & Modding

Due to some errant bid I placed when a little pissed last week I ended up winning this body and didn't really want it, I am looking for a 72 custom body so therefore am left with the dilemma of either painting this up nice and flashy and flogging it - long winded and time consuming - or routing it out with a 72 custom config, I say routing it out, but the severe lack of a router and templates leaves me high and dry. First question is, can this in it's current shape be cut to a 72 spec or are the exisiting routes buggering that idea up, second question, is there anybody on here with a 72 template that can cut the routes for me?

cheers for any help.image

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Let's see if this works again? 
    tFB Trader
    Bizzare - my last comment disappeared. 

Anyway - I think that should be changeable. It would need a hole routing for the switch, the control cavity enlarging and the neck humbucker enlarging to accommodate a wide range pickup. Also wire channels routing betweeen.

A lot of it could be done freehand  or with individual makeshift templates as it will be under a scratchplate - I could print out a template from PDF to get all the locations right. The neck pickup could be done with a template just so it's a little more accurate/neat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    If you really want a '72 Custom I would just sell this one as it is, and buy what you want - far easier. If you do want to try, I *think* the Custom rout completely covers the existing one but I'm not 100% certain about the top corner at the back next to the tone control.

If you want to paint it I'd advertise it here with the option of whatever the buyer specifies for the finish. I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers given the quality of your work.

I've seen camf's Les Pauls up close by the way :).

For what it's worth I once saw a late-60s Strat body that someone had effectively converted into a '72 Tele Deluxe! Now that was a lot of routing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    Ignore ... weird posting issues!
    Just had a quick check - looks like the pickguard would cover the routes fine, if you wanted to go down that route...

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2355
    tFB Trader
    Yes that can be done. If you know any with the templates for a 72 custom very easy job. Can not be done if you want the two H/B custom as the bridge hole are all wrong. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    Does it have a rear contour? And if so, what's the weight?
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Just had a quick check - looks like the pickguard would cover the routes fine, if you wanted to go down that route...

Awesome job Dan....I'll have a think about having it done, still unsure if it's worth all the work!!!

GSPBASSES said:
    Yes that can be done. If you know any with the templates for a 72 custom very easy job. Can not be done if you want the two H/B custom as the bridge hole are all wrong. 

Grahame, Also huge thanks for the help with this, I thought it would cover most of the existing routes but wasn't sure.
    ICBM said:

I've seen camf's Les Pauls up close by the way :).

Cheers man appreciate the kind words
    Does it have a rear contour? And if so, what's the weight?
    Shite, 72 Customs have rear carves too don't they...bollocks, Looks like this will be offered up as ICBM said in a Paint it any colour you want fashion ...No idea on the weight at the minute mate, it's stuck in the local sorting office as I was out today when they tried to deliver
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11704
    I have a brand new pick guard for it sat here as well - one that was cut by Sims Custom - ready for a wide range HB in the neck
    £20 if you fancy it.
    Also it gives you something to outline where to cut :)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I have a brand new pick guard for it sat here as well - one that was cut by Sims Custom - ready for a wide range HB in the neck
    £20 if you fancy it.
    Also it gives you something to outline where to cut :)
    Jon, what colour is the guard mate? I may still progress onwards with this, it'll all depend on the body when I collect it tomorrow, I want to see if the grain is as nice as I hope it is, if not I'll just move it on. Rich
    tFB Trader
    Rear tummy cut isn't a problem either - if you have a decent rasp, file and sandpaper. Just depends how much work you're prepared to have done to turn it into a custom. :)