New Project Incoming may fall at first hurdle, very dodgy neck

Having ordered a set of Oil City Mighty Ninety Smooth from @TheGuitarWeasel for my beloved Epi SG, I needed a home for my Dimarzio humbuckers (ripped out of an old Hondo 2) because I love them.
A friend of mine offered me an Epi LP he was given as a project, so I intend to chuck in the DiMarzios and stick a wraparound bridge on it. Simple, easy and probably excellent no?

Well, here's the thing, I haven't actually seen it yet, but he tells me that the neck has been sanded right through so you can see the truss rod. Is it worth filling the hole and trying to work with it? Or do I get it out and glue in a new one? Anyone tried this before?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    Those pickups are outrageously good, my go-to pickup of choice for a long time now.
    The neck, maybe not so hot, if the truss is visible then more than likely it's too thin to work with, and any filling may just pop out under truss stress.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Do you mean the Oil Citys @sarge? as that is very good news if so.

If you mean the old DiMarzios, then we shall be in competition buying old Hondos from Ebay in the hopes that they have them fitted (been doing this for years, I love them)

Shame about the neck, he's throwing in a bolt neck epi SG as well, so might work with that instead and burn the LP.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    Competition it is!

Actually I have a spare set (which I modded for coil cut, again sound great while cut) so the market is yours.....for the time being!