A question about shielding

What's Hot
I'm nearing the end of my Ibanez Blazer refinish project and have decided to shield it.
I've put two coats of conductive paint in the pickup/control cavity, but do I have to shield the trem cavity on the rear and the hole for the trem block too? Most of my guitars are hardtails so not sure about all these extra spaces!

If I find afterwards that I preferred the original, non-shielded tone then I just have to disconnect the earth wire from the paint and everything will be as before, right?

(make that two questions)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    DiscoStu said:
    I'm nearing the end of my Ibanez Blazer refinish project and have decided to shield it.
    I've put two coats of conductive paint in the pickup/control cavity, but do I have to shield the trem cavity on the rear and the hole for the trem block too?
    No.

DiscoStu said:
    If I find afterwards that I preferred the original, non-shielded tone then I just have to disconnect the earth wire from the paint and everything will be as before, right?
    Yes.

It's unlikely you'll hear any difference with a paint-screened control cavity though. The big tone change comes from foil shielding in pickup cavities and especially covers, and excessive amounts of shielded cable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5589
    ICBM said:
    DiscoStu said:
    I've put two coats of conductive paint in the pickup/control cavity, but do I have to shield the trem cavity on the rear and the hole for the trem block too?
    No.

DiscoStu said:
    Yes.

It's unlikely you'll hear any difference with a paint-screened control cavity though. The big tone change comes from foil shielding in pickup cavities and especially covers, and excessive amounts of shielded cable.
    Cheers, ICBM.
    The Blazer has one single cavity on the front for pickups and controls, so I've painted the whole thing. Here it is, pre paint

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    That looks nice.
    DiscoStu said:
    The Blazer has one single cavity on the front for pickups and controls, so I've painted the whole thing.

Yes it's definitely fine to shield that whole cavity. Even in the pickup cavities, paint shielding isn't conductive enough to dull the tone I don't think.

If you're really determined to check, run the ground wire out from under the pickguard and put a little switch in it so you can switch the shielding in and out while you're actually playing. Make sure the paint can't touch any foil shielding on the back of the pickguard too - put masking tape or something over it.

That would prove it conclusively once and for all.

I really like these Matsumoku Ibanezes, like my extremely similar Aria. Such a pretty body shape that isn't quite a Fender but has a real 'rightness' to it. The Aria is even further from the Fender, probably a tiny bit too much so for most people.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5589
    Aye, it's the subtleties that make it so nice. Initially it looks like a Strat, but when you compare outlines it's very different. The scratchplate design obviously helps set it apart too. Ibanez wanted to make their own Strat-killer when they launched this and having had a play with it before I stripped the paint off, it sounds very very Stratty!

I love the knock-off Starcaster headstock ;)
    DiscoStu said:
    I love the knock-off Starcaster headstock ;)
    At least it's a more sensible size than the original :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom