Maple for a Strat body?

What's Hot
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used maple for a Strat or other solid body guitar? I'm planning to make a strat body a bit later in the year - I've got enough ash but to be honest I much prefer maple to work with... on the other hand might it be a bit on the heavy side?
And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Make it a thinline?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Nahh, I'm just finishing up a thinline I don't want to do another one! Nice simple solid!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Yeah, I've just spotted that thread! Sorry :)

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    I wouldn't do it myself- it will be very heavy as you say.
    Steinberger did maple bodies for some of their R series instruments.
    Not a fan.

• The fender John Jorgensen strat was a maple body iirc... Really heavy guitar too.... Sounded ace though..
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    edited June 2015
    I used to have a solid maple Cheri Superstrat.   It was nice enough, a bit bright.  weight wan't too bad but it was quite a slimline guitar and fully routed for a floyd

I still have a solid maple john birch les paul.   it weighs pretty much the same as an average les paul at just over 9lbs.

It has had period correct dimarzios and the original john birch pickups in it.  with the original pickups its quite bright and cutting, with the dimarzios its actually much more in normal les paul territory.  you can hear the extra zing of the maple but its a long way from being too bright.  The super distortion is quite brittle in my epi les paul, but actually sounded much more rounded in the john birch

I am not in a rush to make a solid maple guitar, but I no longer assume they will be too heavy or too bright
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    edited June 2015
    how about some real figures.

These are average weights:

Red Alder = 495 kg/m3
    Honduran Mahogany = 590 kg/m3
    White Ash = 675 kg/m3
    "Swamp" Ash* = 509 kg/m3
    Rock maple = 705 kg/m3
    Soft Maple = 545 kg/m3
    European maple = 615 kg/m3

lets use those figures to work out how heavy a 4lb alder body becomes with  those woods
    Red Alder = 4lb
    Honduran Mahogany = 4.8lb
    White ash = 5.4lb
    "swamp" ash  = 4.1lb
    Rock maple = 5.7lb
    Soft Maple = 4.4lb
    European Maple = 5.0lb

now this only tells you so much because wood varies so much and some of these species vary more than others.  But it does show that you can get maple options well within the normal ballpark.

always best to judge the bit of wood you have in front of you

*not seperate species, but seperate classification of the same species
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Thanks for your answer @WezV

It might be something I could try, perhaps I could compensate by making the body a little thinner. The main reason was that I find maple easier to work with. However, I do have enough ash for one last body so maybe I will use that. I'll be using alder instead of ash from now on :-)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    You could always weight relieve the maple body.
  • I tried a les paul raw power (maple body, neck and board) and it wasn't too heavy (bit brutish but not awful) and it sounded huge, very fat - detailed but not bright and harsh at all.