What is causing this?

10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
edited June 2015 in Making & Modding

Started the finish on a maple neck today , it was bought already sanded and sealed , gave it one coat of Tru Oil , hung it up to dry and then discovered what looks like tiny splits/cracks or runs coming from under several of the frets .

Been trying to sand some out on the 14th , thinking the oil may have ran off the frets causing tiny little runs ,whilst it was hanging .

But they don`t seem to be shifting.

I`ve never seen this before .

Can anybody tell me what is happening here before I end up with an scalloped board ?

http://i.imgur.com/zufmrUn.jpg  http://i.imgur.com/TwccIsu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/l9wxRxO.jpg  http://i.imgur.com/pS5ZdAi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EsRkdKM.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    Looks like oil runs- does 0000 wire wool not shift it?
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Been using 1200 grade wet & dry , but I`ve taken the oil off and the problem remains.

I thought I`d seek some advice before sanding any more, if it is something nobody here has seen before I`ll go back to sanding .

Just thought it might be something else.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Hi @10thumbs

Not seen that before...it's so even I wonder if it's marks from a caul used to press in the frets?  

It might be worth trying a single edged razor or stanley knife blade as a scraper (up and down with the grain, fret to fret as in the photo) to see if that gets it off.  

If they are splits, of course, then the oil will make them show, although I can't think how or why anything would split that uniformly... 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Weird! Never seen this before, I wonder if they line up with the tines on the fret?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    edited June 2015
    A fret press caul usually doesn't create lines like that- at least mine doesn't, which is the Stew Mac Jaws and Arbour press.

It will be a horizontal line roughly parallel with the fret.
    You can steam them out, usually.

I'd attack it with 0000 wire wool and see if it sorts itself out.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    They do look like tool marks of some kind. Like Andyjr says, maybe from over enthusiastic pressing or a badly fitting caul?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

edited June 2015

Thanks guys.

They are not on every fret , and go in both directions , up and down.

My thinking is , if, with the wealth of knowledge and experience on this board , nobody knows what this is ,  I`ll go back to scraping etc.

But they are very evenly spaced and uniform , unlike runs .

I just don`t want to screw up the neck on my first build , if its something else.

Maybe I`m just a newby being too cautious ?

But necks ain`t cheap .  :-?

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11643
    tFB Trader
    That looks like what happens with water damage - often you can get it if you water sand a lacquer finish.

I assume that you bought the neck already fretted?

The spacing could co-incide with the spacing of the barbs on the fretwire's tang

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11643
    tFB Trader
    Other than that I might wonder if the fretwire wasn't degreased before installing and when the oil has been applied it's penetrated and lifted the grease that was on the fretwire to prevent corrosion when shipped from the factory where they make fretwire.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited June 2015

Yes , the neck is a mighty mite , already fretted, sanded and sealed .

I`ll have another look at it tomorrow , but if I can`t figure something out , I might just have to live with it .

Not the end of the world I suppose , just really annoying .

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    Those are splits or at best stress lines caused by the barbs on the fret tangs, as FelineGuitars said. They're absolutely evenly spaced, the same on both frets, and on the 13th fret you can see they alternate on each side of the fret. They've then absorbed the oil so they've gone darker.

There's no point in scraping or sanding because they will go deep into the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks mate , that was my first thought , and why I stopped sanding and sought some advice , before I made the situation worse.

Suppose I can live with it, its just p*ssing me off as its a new build ,but at the end of the day it can`t be fixed anyway.

And the moral of the story is , don`t buy Mighty Mite necks.

Have you tried contacting them about it?

I bought it off a guy who has had it for a couple of years ,and never got around to using it , there were no signs before I finished it , but I don`t think I`d get much joy from the manufacturers .

Fair enough.

It'll be much less noticeable with strings and finger gunk on it anyway.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I've had this happen with tru oil too.

Put me right off.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16809
    I've had this happen with tru oil too.

Put me right off.
    its not tru-oil that causes the fault... but tru-oil will show up flaws like this clearer than other finishes. 

fwiw I have done loads of maple fretboards with tru-oil and never had this happen before