Black Metal

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Been listening to a fair bit of black metal recently - recommendations for more? Modern-ish stuff is my preference. Behemoth... Deafheaven, Wolves In The Throne Room, Gogoroth... that kind of thing.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited June 2015
    Check out Plebeian Grandstand (Most recent album Lowgazers is amazing) -

or Void Ritual

Not stictly Black Metal, but Watain and Young and in the Way are also worth a listen, or if you do want to go old school, it is very hard to beat Darkthrone's 'A Blaze in the Northern Sky'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Mgla - With Hearts Towards None is one of the best album of the last couple of years.

Svartidaudi
    Weakling
    Macabre Omen
    Ash Borer
    Ascension

Clandestine Blaze
    The latest Satanic Warmaster is killer and he is no longer using 4 track recorders only.
    Drudkh and Hate Forest as well.
    I'm a big fan of a lot of the Finnish bands but they can be pretty harsh and low fi.
    If you don't mind that then as well as Satanic Warmaster and Clandestine Blaze, the likes if Inferi, Kadotus, Dead reptile Shrine, Ancestors Blood etc are great.

If yiu like the Cascadian/Weakling-sounding bands like wittr then Ash Borer, Cold Fell, Panoptican, Skagos are all worth a go.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    What's the point of black metal?
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Have to say I finds pretty uninspiring for the most part too and I'm a metal fan. Our singer loves a. It of black metal though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The point of it is I really like listening to the (comparatively few) BM bands I know - I don't feel I need to run what music I like it by anyone or explain myself though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Been listening to HiFi with a view to buying just lately, I play a mixture of classical through to well known popular metal, I'd love to try some black metal if only to trigger a reaction. As @BloodEagle says it's a valid music choice, I don't feel the need to explain either.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Karpalund
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    edited June 2015

Where's a good place to start for a noob? If I like Thrash and nwobhm where's a good entry point? Or is it too big a leap?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Listen to Bathory - Blood Fire Death
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    If you're a noob start with Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. There's a mix of stuff going on and it was one of the first heavier albums I listened to after getting into metal via Iron Maiden etc
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If you're a noob start with Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. There's a mix of stuff going on and it was one of the first heavier albums I listened to after getting into metal via Iron Maiden etc
    Great album, I used to rinse that back in the day. I also have quite a soft spot for Cradle of Filth - whether that's black metal or death metal, you decide... I'm no purist!
    mudslide73;684670" said:

Where's a good place to start for a noob? If I like Thrash and nwobhm where's a good entry point? Or is it too big a leap?
    Bathory, Mercury Fate, Sarcophago and early Sodom from the first wave and then I'd suggest Dissection as they have a lot of classic metal influences as well as the back metal feel. Watain have a lot of Dissection going on.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067

Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness.
    edited July 2015
    Abbysion. Not sure when it is out but don't it is incredible. Black psyche Like a mix or early Dark Throne and Hawkwind.