Ovation

What's Hot
Who likes ovation with their round back and unconventional sound hole design in order to reduce feedback?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    Of course the best anti-feedback feature they have is sounding so ghastly that nobody wants to turn them up loud enough to feed back in the first place.......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    I hate the round back.  Horrible things.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I have an old one from the late 70's (I've owned it since 1991).    
    The top is splitting and the sound is platicky and I would want insane money to part with it.   
    It plays great and feels comfortable - if I was buying an electro acoustic now it would be my last choice but it's a still a great guitar in that it inspires me everytime I play it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    This thread has an odd feeling of déjà vu - just the other day I was watching Back To The Future Part 2 with my kids. It was made in 1989, and in it 2015 is 'the future'. Funny how things don't turn out how you expect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    :D I've only ever played a friends'. I hear the more expensive adamas range are OK but yeah, just fancied to hear your opinions :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I have borrowed one and couldn't keep the fecking thing on my lap.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Horrible to play sat down, and almost equally horrible to play on the strap.....oh and they sound horrible as well.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33805
    I had one and it was actually a great guitar.
    I sold it when I stopped gigging acoustically in about 1994.

Sold it before the ass fell out of the market for them.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I borrowed one for a few weeks and I thought it was quite good. It played well, sounded sweet and was quite loud and balanced. I don't get why people hate them now. They used to be the amplified acoustic of choice.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I like 'em......... Does that make me odd?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I have played- ironically- an all acoustic one.

The neck on it was wonderful. Sounded alright too.
    The purely acoustic ones do sound better acoustically. I think the integral pickup/saddle on the electric ones is a real tone-killer.

I had an original 70s acoustic one to fix up and sell on behalf of someone recently, and I was quite surprised how good it sounded. It still had a very annoying tendency to capsize when playing it though - even sitting and with it on a strap. The body is just the wrong shape for a guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    :)

@ICBM. I came back from holiday yesterday and played all my guitars. Electrics are sublime. Larrivee had that fight in it - I miss my little martin. Thinking about trying out some martin omcp models (played one months back in GG and it played like butter!) or maybe... a flamenco style guitar!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    One of the reasons I love playing acoustic is that interaction you get with a nice piece of wood and the craftsmanship that's gone into it. So personally I don't enjoy playing the plastic backed ones purely because it doesn't feel right - not so much because of the sound or awkward ergonomics.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    I thought I'd like them.
    :(

Turns out I am not an acoustic fan at all.

Neil said:
    You don't know that yet if you've only played an Ovation :).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Neil said:
    You don't know that yet if you've only played an Ovation :).

;)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    One of their saving graces is that the necks tend to play a bit more like an electric, which makes switching between them on stage seem easier. I'm not sure that's enough to justify owning one though.

edited July 2015
    ESBlonde said:
    One of their saving graces is that the necks tend to play a bit more like an electric, which makes switching between them on stage seem easier. I'm not sure that's enough to justify owning one though.

That's a fact.

My one has a very slim V neck and the ease of changing from a standard electric was what attracted me to it in the first place.

The novelty wore off though.
    :(
  • songmansongman Frets: 5
    I must say I find several responses and their negativity towards Ovations in this thread over the top. I own Larrivees, Martins and Taylors, dreadnoughts, OMs and 12 string, all high quality expensive guitars in the top series (10 series, Marquis series and 800 series), so I know what really good acoustic guitars sound like and yes they all sound better than my Ovation Custom Elite 788. But the tone and wording of responses (they are horrible, they sound horrible, they sound ghastly, etc) is absolutely over the top. Those responses should be taken as (bad) jokes because they are worthless and defeat themselves. As someone said, picking up a different guitar with a different sound (even though, and I agree, not as good as a "real" acoustic) can be inspiring. Jeez, even my Taylor GS mini-e rosewood travel guitar can inspire me because it sounds and feels very different.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom