Lifting a low fret

What's Hot
After a few gigs the HB kit Telecaster is set up the way I want it. The neck is staying straight, and the upper frets are level. Unfortunately the first fret is low under the first and second strings. Now I don't want to re level the whole neck. Is there a satisfactory way of raising the end of the fret? Internet advice ranges from "re level" through to the delightful "hammer a nail under the fret end and it will lift". I'm thinking more craft knife blade or nippers. Has anybody done this successfully? How did you do it?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    I would lift out the affected fret, replace it with a new piece of fretwire and then level that down to the rest of the fingerboard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    Unfortunately the best way is to re-level the rest of the frets. Lifting the fret will loosen it and mean you have to find some way of filling under it.

You probably won't need to take all that much off - particularly if you do a 'taper dress' so you don't take off anything at all at the top of the neck and only the minimum at the second, while keeping the fret tops in a straight line... if that makes sense!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    I have done it, but it ain't pretty.
    With a pair of ground down end cutters I gently pried up the low side, dropped some baking soda in the slot, lowered the fret a bit then wicked in some superglue (the soda catalyzes the glue)
    This lasted me about 3 years with no issues until I sold it, and yes, I declared the fix :)

If I had to do it again, I'd replace the fret, far easier and better.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8783
    I had a close look at this today.  None of the frets are raised, but some of them don't seem to be glued in.  It took a while to get the neck settled down before I dressed it, which I'm beginning to think was the frets seating properly as I pushed down on them whilst playing.  This end of the first fret probably wasn't seated before I dressed it level.  Since then it's seated itself and started the buzz.   In addition there is already noticeable fret wear, I've only had the guitar three months, so the fret wire must be soft.  Within a year I'm looking at re-dressing, and then a re-fret with decent quality wire.  

So this is what I have done.  I lifted the offending fret end with a craft blade.  No pressure needed at all, so it can't have been glued.  I've worked some glue into the gap, using a sliver of paper as substrate.  Purists may scorn, but if it takes me through Saturday's gig then I'll be happy.  My plan is to build a second instrument in the autumn, and then use this one to practice fret dressing, and ultimately a refret.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Are they supposed to be glued , I thought the tangs were to keep them in place , and glue was just for repairs , if needed ?