Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Unpopular Musical Opinions

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    And Freddie Mercury wasn't the greatest showman ever.

Paul Rodgers has a better voice
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    Musical elitism smells of elderberries.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12991
    Snap;686645" said:
    Queen were shite.
    Give this man wisdoms. I can only give one :-(

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    ICBM;686437" said:
    and REM recorded Document - which contains possibly my favourite recorded guitar sound ever.
    @ICBM any one track or the whole album in general? I like the guitar sounds too - Rick and AC30 by that point I think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27531
    Ooh, I have a good one.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were rubbish.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

I like Slash's "World on Fire" better than "Appetite for Destruction".

I wanted to see how it looks written down. Will revisit in a few months and see if I think I was being an idiot.

In general, Myles Kennedy is amazing. Total man crush. >:D<

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Classical musicians who play repaired violins which change hands for astonishing sums are not deluded.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    Cirrus said:
    ICBM said:
    and REM recorded Document - which contains possibly my favourite recorded guitar sound ever.
    @ICBM any one track or the whole album in general? I like the guitar sounds too - Rick and AC30 by that point I think?
    The album in general, but The One I Love in particular. The really funny thing is that according to Buck, it *isn't* the Rick and the AC30 on that - he used a Les Paul and a Marshall! Because he wanted it to sound as 'rock' as possible… but funnily enough it sounds almost exactly like he does with the Rick, although I think you can tell it isn't on the very last two chords.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Interesting! Actually I have sometimes wondered why I couldn't get the low part of the riff sounding as tight and punchy as it is on the recording when I play it on my vox - the high notes always end up ringing louder than the low strings when I do it, I'd put it down to not having the right guitar but if it's a Marshall that kind of makes sense. Especially actually, listening to the breakup in the strummed chords in the second half of each verse - they're not as throaty as an ac30, more high end snarl.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819

When it comes to tone/sound most guitarists say they can hear things they can't actually hear and then spend huge amounts of time worrying about it or spending money on it..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    ^, lmao!! Too true buddy, too true.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Compared to guitarists endless search for the perfect sound/tone, the world of hi-fi is completely sane and logical.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 762

Rocker said:
    Compared to guitarists endless search for the perfect sound/tone, the world of hi-fi is completely sane and logical.
    Guitar amps have a deliberate Low-Hi sound, compared to Hi-Fi or a good P.A.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    A large amount of mainstream pop music is very well written, arranged, performed, recorded and produced. ie is "good".

(And a fair amount is complete crap too, of course.)
    Before 1982.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Shredders are musical.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31813
    holnrew;682909" said:
    Guitarists like shit music.

Guitarists' guitarists make awful music.

Most jazz guitarists have a horrible tone.

Hip-hop is more important than punk.

Creedance Clearwater Revival are better than Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Modern folk is much better than the old stuff.

Miles Davis is hard to listen to.

Oasis have some great songs.

Many older people are closed minded and ignorant, and miss out on some great music because they're too stubborn.

Les Pauls are really ugly.

Popular music can be really good.
    @holnrew I pretty much agree with all of this.

At 50 I count my blessings that the music from my formative years was mainly shite - it means I have no real sense of musical nostalgia and have kept a relatively open mind.

Give me good hip hop over almost all Dad Rock any day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    p90fool said:

Give me good hip hop over almost all Dad Rock any day.
    We can't all be the same. I was going to reverse that sentence and say FTFY but then I questioned whether there was any GOOD hip hop ... or at least I've not come across any that I like. That might be a better way to put it. At least I could tolerate Dad Rock.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited June 2015

When I look back at '90's music it was all shit.  From Oasis to Lamb, not one of those CD's is a timeless classic that I will ever listen to again.  Ever since Evanescence came along most rock, metal and indy music is almost operatic in it's long winded, pompous, self important, ridiculousness, but not in a good, raw and exploratory way like Alice Cooper or Zappa.

Most people have lost all concept of tone and feel on guitar since low bitrate digital storage media and digital recording were invented.  Opinions these days are in 1's and 0's and mostly accuse tonally rich bands or players of being verbose, yet I think all these types are all a bunch of hypocrites as all they listen to is stuff that is more completely OTT than '70's rock ever was, yet lacks any tone what so ever.

If I had to choose music that as good these days and involved a semblance of talent, skill and tone it would probably be Rihanna,

Also, anyone who plays with a delay and scooped mids is a fag.  In fact, given the high incidence, I'm very surprised that as a species we have managed to procreate at all in a modern age.

REM were never about music.  They were about producing nursery rhymes.

French folk accordion players rock out more than most modern metal and alternative music.

Toneless 1 0 guitar is only something to aspire to IF you can create great new complicated rhythms.  The guitar is not a one dimensional instrument and people shouldn't aspire to play it as such.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72913
    Rocker said:
    Other way round…

You won't find guitarists believing that supporting the cables on little wooden blocks or drawing a green line on the edge of a CD improves the sound.

Other than Eric Johnson, possibly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    edited June 2015
    Sambostar said:

When I look back at '90's music it was all shit.  From Oasis to Lamb, not one of those CD's is a timeless classic that I will ever listen to again.  Ever since Evanescence came along most rock, metal and indy music is almost operatic in it's long winded, pompous, self important, ridiculousness, but not in a good, raw and exploratory way like Alice Cooper or Zappa.

90's music wasn't that bad! RATM - Alice in Chains and Portishead all released cracking albums, but I have a ton of albums from the 90's that I listen to again and again and as far as guitar based music went, we had a huge amount to choose from...

The decade that I think produced some of the worst music was the 70's -  Led Zeppelin's stolen songs and nonsense breaks, Queen's OTT theatrical nonsense that ran through the 80's. Dressing up came in two forms: Glam Rock and  Punk (or the replacement of tone and feel with "energy and passion" or I can't be arsed to practice....) oh and whilst we are at Deep Purple and their pseudo classical nonsense... ;)