Birch ply suppliers

Do any of the main DIY shops sell decent birch ply at all? I need a small amount to make a speaker baffle and a back panel (Marshall 1912 size).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    Jewsons do.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1027
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for that. Their site says they only have the huge sheets, so I'm thinking that maybe an online supplier might be better. Does anyone know a good online supplier where I can get it cut to size?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33850
    Call them, they are usually most accommodating and I've had offcuts from them for pennies.
    They have a cutting service too.

Also Travis Perkins.
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    If your local jewsons has a sawmill they're have off cuts , Go straight to the yard men ,they help you better the the shop staff. Where about you based if you don't mind me asking? Cheers dazz
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Bricomarche have fairly decent stuff in 1000x600 sheets.  Have you got a Leroy Merlin anywhere near you?  Of course that's if you are 'in country'.
    I'll try the Jewsons near Brighton when I come over. I think they have a couple of branches down there.

As far as the DIY places here go, I have a Bricomarche not too far from here, so I may pop over there next week to see what they have. Leroy Merlin's only seem to stock the huge sheets, although I may go and ask if they have any offcuts, even though I expect the usual unhelpful reply.

Cheers for all the info chaps :-)
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538

Surprised at your Leroys.  We have a new one opened near here and they are scarily helpful and efficient.  Not at all expected.

I picked up a 1000x600 piece of nice quality 18mm ply at Bricomarche for a new dolly for my Twin and it was about 20 euros.

They will cut to size for you too for a fairly nominal fee.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You could make a cajon with the leftovers!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Have you tried eBay? There are birch ply sellers on there.
    Yes, I saw some of the ebay guys, but I don't know if the quality is good or not. I imagine it's fine, but it would be nice to see the wood before buying it. Maybe I'm over exaggerating the importance of the quality of the wood. In all truth, I don't know if it makes much difference or not, i'm just going with the general opnion on the web...
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I thought its benefit in construction industry was consistency and being voidless, so I don't think a look would tell you much?
    I thought that the high quality marine stuff was voidless, but that the cheaper stuff not so. As I said, I'm no expert and I'm going with the general opinion only. I'm off to the DIY shop tomorrow to have a nose, so hopefully I should be able to see if the difference is visible or not.