Tele Modding

What's Hot
Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm sorry if you've covered this many times before.

Just looking for some advice regarding my MIM Tele, It has a great overdriven tone which a lot of people have commented on when they have heard it live, and so I am worried that any mod I make could interfere with that side of it's sound. I was looking at maybe converting to an Esquire because I never use the neck pup but from what I have read/seen that is maybe better for a clean 60's/70's sound, would you say that's true? Would it be better for me to just upgrade the internal components instead of trying anything drastic or should I just leave it alone? 
Any advice would be great, Tele's are so versatile and it's hard to know if a mod would be good for the particular style you play and that's what is making me think twice about it all!
Cheers :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538

^ this.  However, if you want a more 'mojo' look a vintage style ashtray bridge fits straight on and you can get a six saddle one with brass saddles which do sound better than the stock MiM ones.  The stock pickups are OK, but of course you can get better.

Still come back to 'if it ain't broke...' though.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    If you don't use the neck pickup, do it. The middle position on the switch will be the same as your bridge position is now, then your bridge position on the switch will be the pickup without the tone control and that sounds great. There are other variations too if you Google esquire wiring.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I modded a parts caster tele I had - made it a single pickup - but it didn't do much for me how it sounded before so I had nothing to loose. I went for a single p90 at the neck (I use the neck more - so I didn't do the trad. bridge pickup) It was great fun to do. But I'd say if you are happy with your tele leave it. Get a cheap tele just to mod. Just my thoughts. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • niaalzniaalz Frets: 1
    Man that is a sweet looking guitar! Really cool without a switch at all, I may give that a try.
    Thanks for your replies guys, a few things to think about now.
    @niaalz it was a pain in the arse to get a plate with no switch by the way... in the end http://rockrabbitguitars.com/ made me one. And The Oil City P90 is great value and sounds really good.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

@paulnb57 - that'll be £18.75 after I mess three of them up trying to drill them :)

(and mines made of titanium... no I've no idea why either) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3057
    I've used a couple and have had no issue drilling them.........
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    My mim telecaster I put an ashtray bridge with brass saddles and swapped out the tuners for vintage looking ones. Hasn't made any difference sound wise but looks a lot better IMO.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Esquires are cool.

I'm building one up soon. (Currently making up some harnesses with a cocked wah position and decided I must have one).

Have an oil city 49'er ready to go.

Body is candy apple tangerine! :-S

As the OP only uses the bridge pickup, it makes sense to have a switching system that works on that position.

Removing the neck pickup reduces magnetic pull on the strings.

It will likely improve your bridge pickup sound but it's still a change, and it sounds like you might already have exactly what you need!

• Hey guys, Just an update on this project in case you were interested!

I upgraded the wiring/componenets and installed the ashtray bridge with brass saddles, sounds so much better. It added an insane twang which I love so thank you guys for the advice.

As well I freshened it up by adding a black scratchplate and black control plate which looks great on the candy apple red, way better than stock. Honestly I am well chuffed with it, I gigged with it straight away and I'm using it as my main guitar now. Next project it to change the pickups.

Thanks again guys :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pics!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    streethawk;773671" said:
    Pics!
    Hurrah!!!!

Oh.....
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8743
    Pics, or we can't tell you how nice it looks and what a good job you've done
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • niaalzniaalz Frets: 1
    edited September 2015
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    No worky!!! :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • I'm sorry I have no idea how to work these...noob!