Arthritis and steel string guitars

2»

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    I had reactive arthritis about 10 years ago and still some of my joints are not quite right. My hands/fingers are ok but I am very weary of pushing things too much.

On my 25.5 scale I use recommended 12s but tuned down 2 steps (D to d)
    On my 3/4 (23" scale) it recommends 13s, but have just switched to 12s in standard tuning and actually prefer the slightly softer tension for my strumming and finger style. I have no idea what 10s would be like, but I would consider it if necessary.

Don't forget that a good setup is key for easier playing, maybe more so on an acoustic with higher tension.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5273
    Newtone strings low tension strings might be worth a look
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    @mellowsun - This version of Altiplanos meant tempt you into the world of nylon strings.

• seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Perhaps 'silk and steel' strings may help? They are of a lower tension than normal steel, or brass strings I believe. I'm awaiting delivery of a lefty hand electro-acoustic(as the index finger on my left hand is a bit delicate these days. Maybe the start of artheritis?), and I'm thinking of going to 'silk and steel' 11's or 11.5's as I've always liked the softer sound of nylon strings.