New Zappa Album(His Last)

DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
Just saw this, it'll be his 100th and final album, "Dance Me This".  The article has some soundclips.  http://somethingelsereviews.com/2015/06/27/frank-zappa-dance-me-this/

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Thanks for the head's up - had no idea this was happening.

I'll buy it for completeness but I'm pretty sure if it's full of Synclavier that I'll listen to it once and file it away. Much like Jazz from Hell.

Although, that clip certainly sounds good...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22832
    I haven't really kept up with the posthumous releases, but what intrigues me here is the notion that this is his "100th and final official release".

Nothing else?  No more live material?  No more bits and pieces to be cobbled together?  Will the Zappa family/estate really stick to that?  Or will they get round it by releasing things and saying they're "authorised but unofficial" or something along those lines?

Of course it's up to them what they do, but in this world of endless reissues and remasters, definitive this and ultimate that, I never believe anything is "final" any more.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Oooo - interesting!

Philly_Q said:

Nothing else?  No more live material?  No more bits and pieces to be cobbled together?  Will the Zappa family/estate really stick to that?  Or will they get round it by releasing things and saying they're "authorised but unofficial" or something along those lines?

I didn't quite read it like that.

"his 100th release — bringing to a close the legacy of this visionary musician that began in 1966 with Freak Out from the Mothers of Invention"

To me, this just says it's the last album that FZ was working on before he died (I remember it being mentioned in that Guitarist interview). There's still scope for live material, etc to be releaqsed should the family so desire.

I love the sound clips. Reminds me of stuff like Dio Fa on Civilisation Phaze III. I think I may have to get this. I mean, I've only got about 20 FZ albums.
    :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22832
    OK, I'm overthinking it, but it's only "final" or brings anything "to a close" because it's apparently the last thing he was actually working on.  And 100 is a nice round number.  But the posthumous releases haven't been in any kind of chronological order.  They could have released it as number 83, or 97.... now it'll eventually be number 100 of 119 or something.

I guess you're right - zappa.com calls it "the LAST album by Frank Zappa" but there's no suggestion they won't release anything else. 

Whereas Rolling Stone put a different and probably incorrect slant on it: "The last album that guitarist Frank Zappa worked on prior to his death....the LP is considered the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's 100th and final official release".  It is the last thing he worked on, it is the 100th release, but it probably won't be the final one!

All right, I'll shut up now. 

:P
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I've seen the vault in a couple of Zappa documentaries, it's a massive space that resembles a library except all the shelves contain tapes of everything Zappa did.  I don't know what percentage is live footage as opposed to new material but there is a lot of it.   The possibility of more releases beyond this one is high I think. After all, Hendrix has had albums coming out for about  40 years after his passing.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay