Can anyone help with a curious problem I have with my volume pot please?

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 191
edited June 2015 in Making & Modding
Hi I've a EG that has recently been fitted with a 550k bare knuckle vol pot.
I love backing off the vol pot to clean up the gain and get a sort of chimey tone but since having the pot changed I've now got a curious problem
The volume suddenly cuts out near 1 or 2 so I can't do any violining anymore
I'm wondering if the treble bleed is the cause and if so what value should I change it to to get back the smooth taper?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Try removing the treble-pass cap (just undo one leg at this point) and see if it fixes it. Does the cap have a resistor in parallel with it too? If so that will definitely do that, so remove that too.

You can use a different treble-pass network with a cap and a resistor in series - not the same values unfortunately! - which tends to do it much less.

It may be the pot though, which is why it's worth testing it by removing the treble-pass first. Some pots don't have very good tapers, although I would expect a Bare Knuckle one not to be like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited July 2015
    ICBM said:
    Try removing the treble-pass cap (just undo one leg at this point) and see if it fixes it. Does the cap have a resistor in parallel with it too? If so that will definitely do that, so remove that too.

You can use a different treble-pass network with a cap and a resistor in series - not the same values unfortunately! - which tends to do it much less.

It may be the pot though, which is why it's worth testing it by removing the treble-pass first. Some pots don't have very good tapers, although I would expect a Bare Knuckle one not to be like that.

I've used bare knuckle pots in the past and like the feel of the pot. I had a look and found there was a resistor inline with a capacitor.. So I snipped the leg of the resistor first and that solved it, obviously the resistor was messing with the taper.
    Nice one mate have a wisdom, that's the nice thing about this forum it's full of helpful knowledgable people.
    Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom