Crap Bits In Songs That Don't Deserve Them

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
edited July 2015 in Music
So in short I was asked to work on a version of "Show Me Heaven" by Jimmy Nail for a friend's mum's birthday. She love a sing-a-long and this song is apparently special to her even though I had honestly never heard it before. I have mixed feelings about Jimmy - I grew up with him on TV as a kid and have a deep nostalgic love for him but have also spent plenty of time sniggering at the thought of him being a singer songwriter even though he does a fairly decent job of it. In truth I was expecting this song to be the usual hammed-up but catchy country and western wannabe affair. I was however pleasantly surprised at what I had to work with. 

Listening to it though got me thinking about my actual point about God awful bits that ruin, seriously date or cheese-up records that would have been far better without them. For instance, who on earth thought "I know... PANPIPES!!" here?

I also whole-heartedly nominate the first 1:37 of He Man Woman Hater by Extreme. Not only is it cheesy, pointless and plain cockish but whoever looked around at a band containing Nuno and thought "Let's get Dweezil in to do that bit... Don't worry about timing we will overlay a dodgy wavering metronome after." Clearly was not in a healthy frame of mind and should have been removed from the studio... Perhaps given a holiday until the album was finished.  Or perhaps rewarded as I have since been reminded of the horrific reality that it was in fact Nuno's work.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462

Never thought the middle 8 to Huey Lewis, Power of Love had any business being there.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    WASP song Forever Free has a solo section that I hate from about 2.02 to 3.00.  Completely ruins what is a pretty good rock ballad.  

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    edited June 2015
    randomhandclaps said:

I also whole-heartedly nominate the first 1:37 of He Man Woman Hater by Extreme. Not only is it cheesy, pointless and plain cockish but whoever looked around at a band containing Nuno and thought "Let's get Dweezil in to do that bit... Don't worry about timing we will overlay a dodgy wavering metronome after." Clearly was not in a healthy frame of mind and should have been removed from the studio... Perhaps given a holiday until the album was finished.

Um - that part
    is Nuno, Dweezil's is the first solo after the riff kicks in and the outro solo. ;)
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    I had that feeling in my head as I wrote it. That as a teenager me and my mates were convinced it was Dweezil but later I learned it was Nuno. however the point still stands aboutnit be dire and Nuno is now dead to me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I had that feeling in my head as I wrote it. That as a teenager me and my mates were convinced it was Dweezil but later I learned it was Nuno. however the point still stands aboutnit be dire and Nuno is now dead to me.
    Oh, it's bloody hideous, I'm not about to defend it for a moment. :))
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The bit between 0:00 and 3:36 in Justin Bieber's Baby doesn't belong in what is otherwise a masterpiece
    Stop crying, start buying
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28344
    Disagree totally on the Extreme, although admittedly when the album came out I was unconcerned by trivial things such as timing.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2015
    That bit in Layla, you know the bit I mean.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Them twittering birds in the Beatles blackbird. Spoil a beautiful song for me.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The "guitar solo" in Fireball is probably the only Ritchie Blackmore solo I don't like.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    The Truck Driver's Key Change at the end of Because The Night by Springsteen.

The bridge in The Stones Loving Cup.  
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    All of  Queen's 'We Are The Champions' after the 'I can give you fame...' bit. I really dislike the second part of that song, but the first part is lovely.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    Bucket said:
    The bit where it ends?

:)

The "guitar solo" in Fireball is probably the only Ritchie Blackmore solo I don't like.
    That's actually one of my favourite things he did - it's just so bizarre.

Samgb said:
    I don't mind that one at all, but the one in Kelly Clarkson's Because Of You is painful and nearly ruins a great song.

I'm not massively keen on the rap section in Blondie's Rapture. I know that's kind of the point of the song (name), that it was the first rap in a mainstream record, etc etc… but she's just not very good at it and it's really clunky.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Bucket said:
    No. Only weirds dont like that. You a weird
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Samgb said:
    I don't mind that one at all,

Its because the turnaround section is so lovely and transcendant, one of my favourite 'bits' of any song ever and then that bloody great clunk of a key change. Bruce, what were you thinking? Take a couple of hours, get your guitar and come up with something better.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Clanger nookie section in Whole Lotta Love.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    Samgb said:
    Samgb said:
    Its because the turnaround section is so lovely and transcendant, one of my favourite 'bits' of any song ever and then that bloody great clunk of a key change.
    Is there more than one version? Or does he do it with the key change and Patti Smith doesn't? I just listened to her version and it stays in Bm all the way to the fade. Maybe that's why I never noticed it sounding bad!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    ICBM said:
    Bucket said:
    The bit where it ends?

:)

That's actually one of my favourite things he did - it's just so bizarre.

Samgb said:
    I don't mind that one at all, but the one in Kelly Clarkson's Because Of You is painful and nearly ruins a great song.

I'm not massively keen on the rap section in Blondie's Rapture. I know that's kind of the point of the song (name), that it was the first rap in a mainstream record, etc etc… but she's just not very good at it and it's really clunky.
    Supposedly the first rap record played on MTV. One of those things that was a suprisingly big deal at the time.

Looking at one further back up - I'll have to re listen to Because the Night as we intend to murder it as a band at some point, see how clunky the key change is. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4156
    Glockenspiel in any Springsteen. 

Born to Run really could do without that cheesy shit.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    The Clanger nookie section in Whole Lotta Love.

Yeah, that's another one for me. Gets positively cringeworthy with age.